Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Website Feedback
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Website Feedback Discussion of the website and forums

Retouch Pro Abuse

Old 04-18-2006, 01:23 PM

I'm ok with helping anyone with whatever little knowledge I have.
I understand that the recipient is taking advantage of me by learning some of what I know. If the recipients think I can help them, so much the better.

I do have a problem with the posts that are nothing more than "please do this for me" requests. It is obvious to me that most of those requestors are not necessarily looking for help as much as they are looking for a "freebie".

This is a place for the exchange of ideas, techniques and knowledge not a place where posters should be encouraged to come to have work done.

Just my my 2 cents.

Originally Posted by byRo
I would like to weigh some PRO's and CON's.
....feel free to add...
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2006, 12:25 PM
Is it all bad?

Is it really all bad if someone wants a freebie? It could be good practice for a beginner (like me) and could also be a good way to add to a portfolio (depending on the size and quality of the image). I'm new to this site and forgive me if this has been a sensitive subject. I also haven't completely looked around the site, yet. (there's a lot to go through!) Is there a place where people could offer free service in exchange for use in portfolios or as practice?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2006, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by byRo
However, if you are certain that we are dealing with a "free loader" and the image does not present anything interesting a good idea is to just let it die. (Sometimes silence can be thunderous)

(PS: these are personal thoughts - not site policy, OK?)
I agree, silence can be thunderous. But I also am of the opinion that when it is obvious someone is taking advantage that we not "humiliate" them in a public forum but rather approach them via private message and go from there. Just my two cents; and ya know what that's worth.

Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2006, 01:31 PM
It might be worth considering a "Pro Bono" forum in which people who want "freebees" without an interest in learning the technique can post their requests. This way those who are willing to help for free can do so and possibly add to their portfolio and those who want to teach/share/compare techniques won't be trying to explain their techniques to those who are just not interested.

I don't mean to upset anyone with this thread. I am not targeting anyone specifically as I have seen several cases from several different sources. It is merely meant to open debate over a topic that occurs and that deserves varied points of view to address. Hopefully the discussion here will help address issues people may be having outside Retouch Pro with clients, special requests or other retouching situations.

It's refereshing to see the varied points of view so far and it'll be valuable to see what more people contribute.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Website Feedback