Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Website Feedback
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Website Feedback Discussion of the website and forums

Retouch Pro Abuse

Old 04-17-2006, 02:51 PM
Retouch Pro Abuse

I've started to notice several instances of people simply asking for some sort of retouch or correction to be done for them for free by members of the site without actually wanting to learn anything about the process. In several instances I have gone through prior posts/threads and have noticed these people tend not to contribute to the site and tend not to ask for help but merely to have work done for them.

I know one of the great advantages of this site is the open-ness of its members and the willingness to help and share talent/information. On the other hand I feel like there has to be a line drawn somewhere.

I hope I am not out of place in making these observations. I hope others have also come across the same thing. If this is the case I would like to ask how best to deal with these situations. If this is not the case then pardon my post.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2006, 03:06 PM

I've noticed the same and have a bad habbit of calling them on it. I try to be gentle, because it could be an error.

There is always a chance that with the title Retouch Pro, some people may wander in and think we are all pros and this is the place to get pictures retouched or restored.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2006, 06:12 PM
I too have that habit. I'm just wondering what the best way is to go about informing people without coming off confrontational. I can understand people asking for help but those who want everything done for them for free with no concern as to the process really get under my skin.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2006, 06:35 PM
The answer may be to refer them here.

But it is very difficult after only one post. It’s only when someone posts several requests that things become clear.
Retouch Pro should make a donation mandatory on the first picture posted.

Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2006, 09:35 PM
I did a little research and I think the most recent person who appears to be asking people here to do it for them might very well be confused about the site? I found them also at a geneaology site in a discussion about colorizing. I can't speak for them of course, but I hope that they will post more because from what I was able to assume I think they are indeed wanting to learn how to do it theirself but they haven't really asked for help in learning and figuring things out here.

... sigh...
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2006, 10:01 PM
And there are also those of us who might be stumped for inspiration or have a pic we think others might like, and post that for people to work on for fun

I guess essentially we have to each make a judgement call on whether or not we individually feel comfortable touching up a photo in these circumstances - if you think the pic is just to get a service out of you for nothing, then don't retouch it

If I'm stuck on something and post a pic in that circumstance I try to remember to ask how someone did what they did - or post it in a later post if I forget
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2006, 10:18 PM
What I find a bit confusing though - if people are asking for a pic to be retouched, the attachments here aren't good enough to print anyway. So if they think they are getting a retouch for free, it still isn't going to get them a framable end product, is it?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2006, 10:21 PM
My greatest learn how to do things myself. Sometimes I try to do the instructions but some are a little confusing to me. I do take a lot of the images posted here and try and work on them myself I do not post the end results as they are not as good as the professionals who post here.

My last post was a special picture of my brother. I sincerely had no idea how to make it better to print for my neice whom I have once again connected with since my brother passed away. Before posting my request for help I tried several times to do the work myself. It just did not look good. Maybe I should have posted my try.

My niece has very few pictures of her Dad. I had this one and almost only picture of him. I wanted it to be restored to the best quality possible. I was so pleased with all the wonderful posts to help with that . It was indeed my hope people would try to make it better. I knew I did not have the ability to do it and felt I could ask here for help. I do not want others to do all the work one knows how I would like to do the work myself, but sometimes my level of expertise does not meet the challenge. I think most people whom ask for help would really like to do it themselves and do not expect FREE work done. I just wanted to enhance this special picture. I felt I could ask here. I have never ever thought that some people here would think it was freeloading...That was not the case for me!! I feel bad people would think that.I just do not have the right words for what I am trying to say!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2006, 02:10 AM
Hi Neb,

I don't think anyone on this site would think of you as a freeloader, your obvious enthusiasm for the subject, and willingness to learn, mark you out as someone who wishes to increase their knowledge and ability (as is the case for most of the regular members).

I think reference here is being made to members who just post an image and ask for it to be retouched for them, without any apparent desire to learn how.

One of the things I have to keep in mind before flaming anybody (which I've felt like doing quite a few times), is that English may not be their first language, and therefore they may not be able to fully express their wishes.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2006, 11:19 AM
I would like to weigh some PRO's and CON's.

Very often the retouching, and ensuing discussion about the techniques employed can be very useful. (Especially if Flora comes around);

The poster gets work done for free....but..
limited to 100K, they're not going to end up with anything "professional";

Maybe we do actually help someone who is genuinely interested in learning;

More "free" pics for us to play with (often they are in short supply);

....feel free to add...

So, as long as we keep to attachments avoiding external links, the end result (in my reckoning) is
However, if you are certain that we are dealing with a "free loader" and the image does not present anything interesting a good idea is to just let it die. (Sometimes silence can be thunderous)

(PS: these are personal thoughts - not site policy, OK?)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Website Feedback