RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Website Feedback
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Website Feedback Discussion of the retouchpro.com website and forums

Is This Where I File My Complaints?

Old 08-10-2006, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy
Be glad when someone takes the time to do so, but don't complain when they don't.
I could've saved myself a whole lot of typing if I would've just said that, 'cause that's what I kind'a meant, and feel! heheheh

Thanks Swampy!

Randy
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2006, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dog
Personally, I probably comment on 3 of 10 pieces that I look at. I don't comment on the ones that have truly run the gamet; the ones with issues that are beyond my reach and, occassionaly, one that just doesn't appeal to me.
And so you have answered your own question.

After admitting this, your position seems somewhat hypocritical. Because, according to your own arguments, you are being completely inconsiderate of those other seven people. You viewed, but didn't post. But you had your reasons (no matter what they were) for not posting. And so does everyone else. It's not something to be taken personally.

The irony of this whole thread is that you were worried that people may not like you, yet you've potentially distanced yourself from those very same people. Fortunately, everyone I've seen here at RetouchPro have been nothing but kind, considerate, and professional in their manner. I'm sure none of them will take your comments personally, and that they will be more than willing to contribute and help when and where they can.

Just something to think about.

--Racc
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2006, 05:25 PM

Smile Aw, Swampy,

Being that you are the only person that responded to either of my last two posts to the critique forum, I hate to even disagree with you a little bit . You are also amongst a handful of people who has joined in this discussion. Why, I think you really do like to help people. Of course, I am stating the obvious. All I can saw is that you are the very last person that I am addressing here.

By the way, I thank everyone who has taken the time to participate in this discussion. Now, on with the argument...

It is about personal integrity. People react to that phase as if I said something about their Mother! I challenge you (the generic you's out there) to this: How often have you heard the words "Honor" and "Integrity" used in the same sentence. Do you know the difference? So how can your response be as if it were a personal afront?

If you take, you should give back. If you came here a little less informed than you are now or without a couple new tools in your arsenal, then you have benefitted and you owe something to the idea or person or organization that helped you be better. That's the fuel that volunteer forums run on.

I have stated my opinion. There is no point in me elaborating more. I thank you for the opportunity to voice my observation and suggest that we could be better ourselves.

No hard feelings, honest.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2006, 05:34 PM

You mince words....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racc Iria
After admitting this, your position seems somewhat hypocritical. Because, according to your own arguments, you are being completely inconsiderate of those other seven people.
Really? If every viewer left an input an average of 3 out of 10 times that they viewed a request for a critique, then every request would get 30 responses for every 100 views. Then, we'd have to argue to only leave response that has something unique to offer. I think we may not see that day soon.

Bye. Really.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2006, 05:56 PM

Dog,

if you want to leave, nobody will hold you back, it's your choice.

On the other hand, you should really think about what people do and why a bit more.

I go to RP every single day, most of the time twice or more. I use the new posts link and read through the subjects. When I think something could be of interest or I could contribute something useful I go to that topic. And if there is something to say, I do say it.

To give you an example on your specific post, the head-thing, I simply didn't care. Head-replacement is pretty obviously a restauration thing and I'm not into this stuff, so I'm not interested. Do you read everything you are not interested in? Besides that, as I lack the experience in restauration I could hardly give any advice.

Seriously pal, there are dozens of posts every day, do you except me to carefully read through all of them?

And even more, if I cannot say anything but "it's well done in my eyes" I don't post anything. My ~300 posts were always cra...err wellworthy information to the readers and no hundreds of "well done"-posts. Consider them a waste of time.

Anyway, if 200 viewers don't have any critism it means the image is good, isn't it so? So what do you complain about?

Edit: I just, for curiousity, looked through all your postings:

First Whole Head Replacement: 1 answer, 98 views
An Exercise in Subtlety: 1, 133
Japanese Girls: 8,804
OK. Let me have it!: 8,403
First Try at Make-up: 14,666

It's not sooo bad, is it?

Last edited by PatrickB; 08-10-2006 at 06:06 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2006, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dog
Really?
Yes, really. By your own admission you only post a response 30% of the time. That means 70% of the time you don't contribute to posts you've viewed, either, and for the same reasons as everyone else!

The hypocrisy is that you are berating this entire community for doing what YOU have admitted to doing MOST of the time, yourself... viewing a thread and then moving along without posting a reply.

You are trying to learn your craft for free by picking the brains and experience of all those that frequent this forum. You should respect that everyone here contributes what they can when they can of their own free will. They contribute according to their interests, time, and their desire to share. So to imply that everyone is not posting often enough or with enough quality to train you for free in your chosen career just comes across as ungrateful for the help you do get. As others have said, no one here is obligated to educate you.

--Racc
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2006, 07:13 PM

I didn't say I was leaving the site,

I am just leaving the discussion. I felt like blowing off some steam. OK? If I were mad enough to leave I wouldn't bother discussing it. Boy, text is tough! A poorly chosen word here...another there....,

As I said. Thanx for the discussion. No hard feelings. Subject over. Not going anywere.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2006, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Subject over. Not going anywere.
You mean its not going in a direction you want, so you'll take your bat and ball home.

OK so nobody seems to agree with your point of view, maybe that's telling you something, if not it should be.

This is not a personal attack on you, merely a disagreement with the point of view you originally espoused.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2006, 05:19 AM

Interesting that no-one mentioned this: (or I didnt see it mentioned)

Code:
Currently Active Users: 305 (10 members and 295 guests)
Right now, only 1/30th of the people online who can view a post could actually post a response anyway.

You say not having time is BS? What delisional planet are you living on? I frequently view a post, and think about replying but I'm a busy woman, I might be looking at it while I'm in the middle of something or just about to go to bed. If I feel really strongly about something, maybe I can make the time but usually not.
Writing a good, well thought out post takes time, especially when critiquing - a lot longer than it takes just to view the post.

Also, very little point repeating what others have said, if I see an image up for critique I might take the time to look at it and do a critique in my head but then when I look at the replies, everything I saw has already been commented on, so no point in repeating.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-11-2006, 07:55 AM

Oh, I didn't know it was counted that way..

NancyJ has hit on a valid point I think. I did not know that visitors could view but not post. Why would such a large number of people choose to do that??

Gary. Its not that the discussion wasn't going my way ( it isn't), or that the outcome isn't what I expected (it is), its just that, prior to NancyJ's input, I had the impression that both sides had been fully stated, no one was going to change their minds, and things would probably remain as is. What I said about the problem with getting just the right words is that everyone seems to think that I am much more upset than I am. I am frustrated, but not irrate by any means. I simply felt that there was a broad-based injustice, not a personal affront, that needed to be pointed out.

Its like going to a restaurant and leaving mad or seriously disappointed. If you don't tell the manager, what have you really accomplished by just stomping out? I assure you that he would rather know now while he still has a chance to do something about it. I left the ranks of the timid non-complaining majority a long time ago.

Actually, I am pleased with the turn-out. If you boil down the defense, I mostly heard that its normal, it happends to everyone, and I shouldn't take it personally. I may have taken it a bit too personal before, but I won't from now on.

Let me finish what I've got to say and then go on. The two most valuable things about this site for me is the Critique and the Help forums. I don't put something up for critique because I am showing off, I do it because I am very uncertain of (1) my skills and (2) the performance (?) threshold of the industry (ies). I really need to learn what is acceptable and what is sub-par. I also really need to develop a sense of when something is done vs over-done, a case that many of you argue all the time.

Example: Take "An exercise in subtilty" I really liked what I had but could not decide if I should stop or do more. What I really wasn't expecting was Swampy's response that cited some fundamental problems that I did not recognize and, frankly, do not really know how to go about fixing. That is a really valuable lesson for me.

So please - everyone - go back to work and let this pass. I am content.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Website Feedback