RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Website Feedback
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Website Feedback Discussion of the retouchpro.com website and forums

New forum suggestions?

Old 02-17-2007, 04:18 PM

Re: New forum suggestions?

Sweetlight

I find my time is often limited, but I do try to comment on people's work as often as possible. Good, bad, indifferent. By my age, your skin gets like leather... LOL
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-18-2007, 12:35 AM

Swampy,
Just to clarify, I was saying the RP group as a whole should make greater attempts at critique, constructive criticism, 'at boys etc... We have so much talent bouncing around here it's ashamed it sometimes just sits idle.

Thanks for the reply and your skin looks lovely
c
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-18-2007, 03:25 AM

Hi Sweetlight,

There can be a whole raft of reasons that people don't critique other people's work, I list just a few.

1. Don't feel qualified to judge.
2. Don't have anything constructive to say that hasn't already been said by someone else.
3. Don't have any real opinion on the work submitted.
4. Don't want to say something negative and destroy the poster's confidence.
5. Don't have time to scrutinise the submitted work properly because of their often busy schedules.
6. Don't like making critiques in general.

There are I'm sure lots more.

Given this, it's not suprising that works do not always get as much feedback as the poster may want.

I agree with you that any critique is valuable if taken in the right way, but you cannot force the issue, members will critique if they wish, and at their convenience.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-18-2007, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Richardson
1. Don't feel qualified to judge.
2. Don't have anything constructive to say that hasn't already been said by someone else.
3. Don't have any real opinion on the work submitted.
4. Don't want to say something negative and destroy the poster's confidence.
5. Don't have time to scrutinise the submitted work properly because of their often busy schedules.
6. Don't like making critiques in general.
Add laziness to the mix and that's me too.

Actually, I don't mind critiques. I can usually tell if the person really means something and if it comes from a genuine desire to be helpful. But I can also tell those than nitpick, are generally critical of everyone and everything, and last, but not least, are mean spirited. Others may not take the words with a grain of salt.

Since art (that is where I spend most of my time) is subjective, I may or may not like something that is truly a masterpiece, and therefore may or may not feel inclined to comment based on my personal preferences.

Also, in a long line of submissions, I might only find one I can comment on with any degree of truth. I choose not to try and put false comments on those I don't like. To that end, I usually pm a person if I really like something rather than make only one comment in a dozen submissions.

My two cents worth,

Janet
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-18-2007, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Petty
Add laziness to the mix and that's me too.

Actually, I don't mind critiques. I can usually tell if the person really means something and if it comes from a genuine desire to be helpful. But I can also tell those than nitpick, are generally critical of everyone and everything, and last, but not least, are mean spirited. Others may not take the words with a grain of salt.

Since art (that is where I spend most of my time) is subjective, I may or may not like something that is truly a masterpiece, and therefore may or may not feel inclined to comment based on my personal preferences.

Also, in a long line of submissions, I might only find one I can comment on with any degree of truth. I choose not to try and put false comments on those I don't like. To that end, I usually pm a person if I really like something rather than make only one comment in a dozen submissions.

My two cents worth,

Janet
Janet, to me your comments just about say it all. If you look at the art masters you can find things that you don't like and that you would have done differently. Art is one of those "eye of the beholder" things that will greatly please one person and turn others off.

I have posted things that I really think I have done unusually good work on, only to get no comment at all. And the reverse is true too, things I think are only fair will get the most positive feedback.

There is not much bad work done here, most is well done. And I am never critical of any work unless the person has asked for suggestions etc. And I don't usually say I like something unless I REALLY like something. You can be sure if I give positive comment on anyone's work, to me it's special.

I sometimes miss thanking someone for making a nice comment on a posting of mine, but believe me, I appreciate all I get.

Steve C.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-26-2007, 07:23 PM

Marketing forum I know its somewhat covered in another forum but I think a lot of people not just on here in general just do not get how important it is.
A lot of pros say 50% of there time is spent on marketing and its probably 90% of the reason most people fail (not enough marketing)
Just my thoughts zganie
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Website Feedback