RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Website Feedback
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Website Feedback Discussion of the retouchpro.com website and forums

New Strangeness In Menus

Old 10-03-2006, 04:25 PM
Janitor

Re: New Strangeness In Menus

I had a different problem concerning browsers that eventually ended up being caused by my spyware protection software. I guess it was protecting me too much. I turned off a couple of browser-specific protections and the problem went away. The new protection was an auto-update to the protection software, so was quite mysterious to me for weeks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2006, 04:31 PM
Janitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racc Iria
Doug... IE7 does look nice, but I'm very leary of installing anything from Microsoft that's still under development. And can the tabs be moved to the bottom?
We're in the age of perpetual beta. Some of the software for this site is technically still in beta. The only real drawback I've found for the IE7 release candidates (which is where they are now) is that you have to uninstall the old version before installing the new version. But it's completely non-destructive, I've done it 5 or 6 times so far (I jumped on one of the earliest beta releases).

But I don't think the tabs can be moved to the bottom. The bottom has zoom, anti-phishing, etc.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2006, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Nelson
We're in the age of perpetual beta. Some of the software for this site is technically still in beta.
True, but Microsoft has a tarnished reputation in this respect. I'll difinately check it out once it's finalized and whatever hidden horrors are vetted by brave folks such as yourself. It's too bad you can't move the tabs to the bottom, I really like them better there.

Anyway, heres an update on the situation at hand...

I un-installed the browser in question and reinstalled it and it seems to have fixed the menu issue, at least for now. I guess I just have to chalk it up to "bit rot." Something else Microsoft is famous for.

--Racc
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2006, 05:23 PM

Quote:
all in all, it sounds a bit suspicious to me and i'd be running anti-malware to see if something malicious hasnt occurred. run the full gamut. one anti-malware will catch some things where another will catch other things. so, run the full gamut but especially HijackThis.
Caution, HijackThis is a diagnosis tool, not a Malware Scanner/Fixer. It shows both GOOD and bad processes and reg entries, if you don't KNOW for sure what you're doing do NOT "fix" anything using it. Certain processes if "fixed" with HJT will render your system inoperative, and they will not be restored by using the Backup files created by HJT.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2006, 03:09 AM

Really odd...my browser has been working fine until possibly this last week or so and this problem started happening. So I checked for an update, downloaded it and now everything is fine...very strange.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2006, 03:38 AM

Hi Ziaphra,

I use Firefox, and I've been having a couple of odd problems over the last week or so.

With me it was that I couldn't get the New Posts button to work. Thought the problem was due to the javascript restrictions I use, but this proved not to be the case. (I altered them, and temporarily the problem was resolved, but it recurred next time I logged in, despite new settings, so I reset them to their original state).

Today, for the first time in a while, New Posts works fine for me, for whatever reason, must have been some sort of hiccup on the server.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2006, 03:53 AM

Gary, not sure if this will narrow down your search for the issue, but it may eliminate one thing.
I run adsense on sites, and I noticed Doug had put a referral link script under the google ads on the right. This script does sometimes have an issue with firefox, but putting the script within a <DIV> </DIV> fixed it for me. I had noticed that the Picasa referral link has now gone from here, so could it have been that?
In my case the script stopped some links from working in Joomla (when using firfox), so it is a similar problem to what you were having.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Website Feedback