RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Website Feedback
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Website Feedback Discussion of the retouchpro.com website and forums

New Strangeness In Menus

Old 10-03-2006, 10:00 AM

New Strangeness In Menus

I've just noticed some strange behavior in the menus that's just started within the last few days... maybe a week.

After typing in the URL to visit RetouchPro and the page loads, I immediately have to refresh the page to get the menus to work. Then, when going to another page, the menus don't work again unless you refresh or click on something else to load another page. The menus will then work again, until you go to another page, etc., etc.

This just started happening recently. Nothing has changed on my computer... no new programs, no viruses... same browser. Strange.

Anybody else experience this?

--Racc
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2006, 12:16 PM

Re: New Strangeness In Menus

You're not nuts, it's happening to me as well.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2006, 01:01 PM
Janitor

I've no idea. Nothing has altered in the past week. You could try clearing your cache.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2006, 01:36 PM

Thanks, Doug.

Just cleared the cache. Same behavior persists. It may have been longer than a week, not sure. It's just become odd enough in the last few days that it's drawn my attention.

--Racc
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2006, 01:51 PM
Janitor

If they never worked I'd have some solid suggestions. It's the intermittent part that throws me. Try temporarily setting your "check for newer pages" to "every time I visit a webpage" (that's where I leave mine). And make sure RP is listed as trusted or friendly or whatever with all your security programs. You can list us in the "trusted sites" in IE.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2006, 02:19 PM

Doug...

Yep, that's how mine is set, too.

Although, I think I have figured it out. At least for my case. When I said nothing had changed on my computer, I meant that "I" had changed nothing. Apparantly something did change.

I've been using an IE based tabbed browser for the last year or two with no problems whatsoever. While I was poking around in the options performing the checks you suggested, I noticed that the browser had a newer version number than I recall. It must have automatically updated itself somehow (though I always turn off automatic updating for everything including this browser). Anyway, it's now either ignoring the automatic update setting or it got reset somehow and updated itself, and there must be a bug in it, because when I go through IE directly, there is no problem with the menus... they act properly as they always have. Switching back to the other browser... the strange behavior is still there.

Anyway, that fixes the problem for me, but irshgrlkc mentioned she was having the same problem. Perhaps her solution will be similar.

Thanks, Doug, for looking into it though. Much appreciated. I wouldn't have found the cause if you hadn't prompted me to look into those settings.

--Racc
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2006, 02:34 PM
Janitor

Glad you found a solution, if not the actual problem. FWIW, I really like IE7 and recommend it for those who like tabs (as I do). Many other improvements, as well.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2006, 02:49 PM

I use Opera and the same thing is happening to me...it also only started recently.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2006, 02:56 PM

when something like this crops up but it's only happening for some, then suspect viruses, browser attacks and so on. i'd run HijackThis and see if something hasnt attached itself or altered your browser.

and, since Racc is reporting a new version number, i'd check with the browser makers also. find out if and what they've done.

all in all, it sounds a bit suspicious to me and i'd be running anti-malware to see if something malicious hasnt occurred. run the full gamut. one anti-malware will catch some things where another will catch other things. so, run the full gamut but especially HijackThis.

craig
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2006, 04:19 PM

Well, I just did a test using the same version of the tabbed browser on another computer. The menus work fine. But on this computer using that same browser and version, the menus exhibit the strange behavior. So much for my theory about something being wrong with the updated browser version.

The behavior seems restricted to that particular browser. As soon as I use a different browser, the menus work as they should without problems.

Odd.

I will scan again for viruses and such, but didn't find any before.

Also really odd is that this only seems to happen on pages at RetouchPro. I have not noticed this on any other sites with any browser including the one I've been talking about. If it's a virus or malware it seems awfully specific.

Perhaps reinstalling that browser will fix it.

Doug... IE7 does look nice, but I'm very leary of installing anything from Microsoft that's still under development. And can the tabs be moved to the bottom?

--Racc
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Website Feedback