RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Website Feedback
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Website Feedback Discussion of the retouchpro.com website and forums

Floating Menubar

Old 03-21-2002, 02:18 PM

I noticed the same thing CJ. When I log on from an e-mail thread notice, often the menu bar won't be there. Didn't know what to make of that or if it was just me. I will try that refresh. Thanks. Usually I will have to go the RetouchPro Forum link at the top to get a new page or 2 before it shows up. It's intermitent so I don't know what to say about it. I do love the menu bar and use it all the time now.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-21-2002, 02:46 PM

I'll put in a third agreement to CJ and DJ's observation. I've just chalked it up to the fact that maybe Doug is still not done implementing it across the site? -Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-21-2002, 03:27 PM

Sorry I misspoke - I'm using IE 5 on the Mac.

I'm pretty good at trouble shooting, so I've already tried all your suggestions to no avail and I waited thinking Doug was still working on it, but since it hasn't improved, I thought I should let him know.

I surf all day long for my work, and have no problems with other web sites. I have a DSL connection and have tried with lots of cache (emptied regularly) and with no cache (forcing pages to load) but no improvement.

Just thought you'd like to know,

Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-21-2002, 03:56 PM
Janitor

Aside from some possible cosmetic tweaking, and periodically updating as I add new links (like the new 'search' link I added yesterday), it's done. I didn't write the java code, anyway, so I wouldn't begin to know how to fiddle with that.

It's interesting that more than one has indicated it's when following an email link that they have trouble, so I'll look into that.

I could see occasional menu oddness (stuff happens), or intermittent multi-page number weirdness, but the two have nothing to do with each other, and the combination leads me to think something else is afoot.

In the meantime, don't forget ctrl/cmd-r will also refresh.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-21-2002, 09:18 PM

hmm thats wierd that it's not working on some peoples browsers. I've tried it in all the browsers I have and I didn't have any problems except in IE 6 when it didn't show a couple times (but it worked when I reloaded it). Margaret maybe it's a problem with the Mac version of Internet explorer?? have you tried any other browsers?

- David
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-21-2002, 09:36 PM

Well, I followed the e-mail link to this thread. I did not get a menu bar - refreshed four times and still no menu bar. Went to the top of the page and clicked on "RetouchPRO Forums." No menu bar. Clicked on "View new posts" - no menu bar on the search results page. Clicked on a thread link and THEN there was a menu bar and it stayed with me for the rest of the session. It's not really a problem - I have no trouble getting around it. Just curious. I'm running Windows 98 and IE5.5
-Jeanie
P.S. I take that back. I had no menu bar while writing this reply and when I hit "submit" and it took me back to see my post, there was no menu bar - and stayed missing when I clicked on the "RetouchPRO Forums" link at the top of the page. Again, I haven't had any trouble working around this, but it does seem a bit sporadic for me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-21-2002, 10:07 PM

That's exactly what happens to me Jeanie. And I too never get the menu bar when I'm replying to a post. I figured that part was normal.
I'm using IE 6 also with Windows XP if that helps. It may be something with IE users only. Don't know if that helps or not. It's not a problem for me or probably other seasoned members but it could be a problem for newbies.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-21-2002, 10:48 PM
Janitor

The menubar isn't supposed to be there when replying...but should be there when you're reading.

I'm at a loss to explain this. Do you have trouble getting the menubar on the other sections of the site, or just the forums?

(btw, I used email notification for this thread and got the menubar just fine).

One thing you might try is holding the ctrl/cmd key down while hitting the reload button. That forces a full reload (in case the cached version has something missing).

Further complicating things is the fact that we've been having webserver weirdness for the past couple of days.

Hang on, be patient, we'll get all the bugs worked out one way or the other. Check for browser upgrades in the meantime
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-21-2002, 11:11 PM

Doug,
I haven't noticed the menu bar missing in other sections of the site. Sometimes I do get the menu bar when I use the email notification, but most often not. I did try holding down the ctrl key when hitting the reload button and the menu bar DID appear!!

Yes, I have been noticing the server weirdness the past couple of days (esp. this morning.) But, that doesn't seem to have anything to do with the menu bar - or does it?

I usually keep pretty current on updates, but I'll check.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2002, 06:47 AM

I did try Netscape and if anything it was worse!

I didn't have these problems when I first started visiting this site and since Doug had been making major changes, I thought it best to alert him in case it was something he changed.

Doug assures me that any changes he made couldn't have caused the problems.

I did what I felt I had to do.

Doug did what he felt he had to do.

Nuff said.

Margaret
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Website Feedback