RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Website Feedback
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Website Feedback Discussion of the retouchpro.com website and forums

Download from thumbnail, full size not available

Old 08-05-2007, 05:36 PM

Download from thumbnail, full size not available

Hi all, hope this is the correct forum for this question... If I try to download an image from a thumbnail attachment (no larger file link available), all I get is a thumbnail size jpg file. Even if I click the thumbnail to open up the zoomed larger version and download, still same result. What surprises me about it is that I don't think that is the case with all user's systems since I don't think most of the gurus here work on small thumbnail size files usually. I'm on a dell pc with xp pro operating system. Anyone else on the same able to get normal size downloads with this method or is my result expected?
Thanks,
Doreen
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2007, 05:55 PM
Janitor

Re: Download from thumbnail, full size not available

Perhaps your popup blocker is stopping the new window that opens to view the attachment?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2007, 05:29 PM

Thanks for the reply Doug. I double checked and my pop up blocker is disabled. :-( Well guess I'll keep investigating. At least the major challenges usually have links to the full size photos.
Doreen
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2007, 08:01 PM

Try right-clicking on the thumbnail and select "save target as"
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2007, 08:56 PM
Janitor

Click on the link in this thread. Does a window pop up showing a very large crossword puzzle, much larger than the thumbnail?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2007, 11:46 PM

I think this one is working as expected...Clicking on your link, I get a new window with two posts in it, both from you. First post displays an attached thumbnail of the crossword puzzle. Clicking on that thumbnail opens another window with a larger version of the puzzle. Right click on that image to "save picture as" and photoshopxwords.gif saves. The file is 93 kb. If I click the link in the 2nd post where it says I put a copy here.... a new window pops up showing your gallary and a picture of the puzzle with size information below it. Right click and "save picture as" from that page saves a 32k gif file but on that page it also says to click on the image to view larger image. Clicking that image does open to a larger image and a right click 'save picture as' from that image also saves a 93 kb gif file. Based on the sizes listed, it seems that is working as expected.

What really got me wondering about all this was a few weeks ago I was trying to download Swampy's Italian Alley picture. All I could get was a thumbnail size file. I pm'd her to see if I should be getting a bigger file since I had wanted to try some painting with light on it and others seemed to be working with the image and posting thumbnails larger than her original thumbnail. She said when she downloads from that same thumbnail in her post she gets a 9 x 12, 1.55mb file which I could never get regardless of the method I used to try to save it. That is the most recent download that I tried to get but couldn't. I don't have trouble when people post links to their files, which is good.

I don't want you to waste a lot of your time on it, I know you're busy. I think I'll give her same file a try from work which is also xp just to see if I get consistent results. Thanks for your test, it made me feel I should keep trying with other posts and maybe I'll find that some are successful.
Doreen
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2007, 12:18 PM

doreen, are you using dial-up or broadband? and swampy's post you mentioned, what site is it posted on? some places like imageshack can sometimes take a while before the image actually shows up. it depends on their servers and your throughput to that site and your internet speed. there's also a small chance a site may be down for maintenance or experiencing an overload at any given moment. different sites also have different bandwidths and this can affect how long it takes to connect to it or see a given page or image.

post the link in question and i'll see what i get.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2007, 12:31 PM

Craig... My "Italian Alley" is here

Might this have something to do with a PC virus protection filter that wouldn't allow downloads of JPEGS over XXX Kbytes? Just a stab in the dark.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2007, 01:25 PM

thanks, dee dee. not sure what doreen is referring to about the 1.5 meg image, unless it's your photobucket gallery and those work just fine for me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2007, 01:49 PM

Doreen and I exchanged PM's and I downloaded the original posting of the Italian Alley image and told her the size (1.5 meg at a size of 9x12). She can't get that size to download even though she can click on the thumbnail and get the larger verision.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Website Feedback