RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Website Feedback
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Website Feedback Discussion of the retouchpro.com website and forums

URL for specific posting

Old 04-06-2002, 06:44 AM

Sorry, that won't work. Disregard my previous advice.

Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2002, 10:11 AM

T Paul, I think your suggestion is a lot easier than mine! It certainly gets my vote! -Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2002, 05:59 PM

Jeanie,

Thanks. Well it seems to work, but I am sure there must be an easier way.

-T
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2002, 06:24 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Here's what I did. I'm trying to point someone (you) to one of Jeanie's posts to this thread. It's the seventh reply, and here's the link: http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/sho...4699#post14699
First of all I took note of the first few words in Jeanie's post, then I clicked on the "profile" button at the bottom of her post. When I got to her profile, there was a link to all of Jeanie's posts (upper right corner). Clicking on this, I was able to find the post I was looking for by looking at the first few words in the posts from Jeanie. I clicked on the link, then copied the resulting URL. Her's was the first post showing on the page.

I had to edit this post. Disregard this one. The results are the same as on Jeanie's first post, and her way of doing it was much easier.

Ed

Last edited by Ed_L; 04-06-2002 at 06:29 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2002, 07:50 PM

Ed,

The profile button seems a good way to find the URL for the specific post. Way to solve the problem!

-T
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2002, 07:58 PM

I think the profile button will work if it's a recent post. But for older posts, it's not really feasible. For example, Ed has over 1500 posts! If I were looking for one of his earlier posts, I'd have to figure out where in the 67 pages that the search results bring up the post that I was interested in was listed.

You're right Ed, that it's very similar to my idea - just that it seems you were manually searching for the words you wanted (after having narrowed the search down to the specific user) rather than having the search engine do it. For a recent post, I think your suggestion is faster though!

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-11-2002, 12:13 PM
Janitor

Each post has a unique id number. You can see it if you mouseover the edit button and watch your statusbar. Copy one of the URLs for 'last post' from the main page and substitute the id for the post you want. It's a lot easier to just copy the URL for the page you want and say "3rd post down" or something, though.

I'll try to find something more elegant when I return.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2002, 05:07 AM

Thanks for that Doug. I think I can achieve what I want now. For instance to get to Vikki's post on this thread, one needs to add #post15065 to the URL. Thus the complete URL (as Doug said, watch your status bar with the mouseover on the links I've given).

Another reason why I want this is to make a list of tips in my browser's favourites where I can jump to a specific tip without going thru a search. Often you can't remember what you're actually searching for .

Doug gets another and a
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2002, 02:38 AM

My solution mentioned above requires the complete url, including the page numbers, in a multi-page thread. Check the url I used in this post by running your mouse cursor over the given url and watching the status bar.

The url with the page numbers can be copied from the address bar. Add # and the post number to the end of that address.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Website Feedback