RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Website Feedback
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Website Feedback Discussion of the retouchpro.com website and forums

URL for specific posting

Old 04-05-2002, 03:21 AM

URL for specific posting

How does one find the URL for a specific posting? It's easy enough to get to a page of posts, but what if you want to refer to a specific post on a page?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2002, 07:52 AM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Good question BigAl. To the best of *my* knowledge, you just have to look through the page for it. I've done that more than once when looking for something specific. I'm hoping that someone else will have a good answer for that one!

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2002, 09:00 AM

You can right-click on the page you want to get the URL. Just make sure you are on the page and not a side frame. Then click on properties. In that window you will see the URL under address...it will probably be very long. Highlight it then right-click again and choose copy. Then go to your message or address bar where you want to insert the URL and right-click again and click paste.

-T
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2002, 09:41 AM

BigAl,

If you can figure out a way to do a search such that the post you want is listed in the search, then click on the link from the search results page, that should give you the URL you want.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2002, 09:42 AM

Nope. That gives the page. You can get that from the address bar. I'm looking for the URL of a specific post on a page.

For instance the URL of this specific post is this

It would be quite useful if you want to point someone to something that has already been said.

Last edited by BigAl; 04-05-2002 at 09:49 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2002, 09:54 AM

Thanks Jeanie, but I'm sure you'll agree that that's a bit long-winded, especially if you know exactly which post you want to point someone at.

I had one a while back where I wanted to point Flora to a colorized version of Steve Gibson's folk's wedding picture.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2002, 04:10 PM

Sounds like a question for the Supreme leader who just so happens to be on vacation right now. I didn't even know posts had their own urls. Learn something new everyday.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2002, 08:53 PM

Hi BigAl, Yes, I agree it's a "bit" long-winded. When I don't know how to do something (and I really don't have a clue in this case), I think about what I already DO know and see if any combination of those things might get me to where I want to be. That's what happened in this case. Obviously, there are no guarantees that my solutions are pretty, but depending on how desparate you are, it would get the job done.

DJ has a better idea though - wait until Doug gets back from his vacation. You might want to ask your question again once he gets back though, as I have no idea how long it will take him to "catch up" on all the posts that he's missed.

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2002, 01:27 AM

Ok, I see what you are trying to do now. At the bottom right of each message is "IP: Logged". If you right-click on the Logged and click properties or just hover over the "Logged" hyperlink you will see a Post ID Number at the end of the URL. It appears that if you use the below URL and substitute the Post ID you just found it will take you to that particular post. At least it did in my three varied attempts. Note, you have to replace the post id number in two locations in the below URL.

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=14653#post14653

There is probably an easier way though.

Last edited by T Paul; 04-06-2002 at 01:33 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-06-2002, 06:41 AM

If you want the URL for a post within a thread, just click on the link that says "report this post to moderator" at the bottom right of the post, then copy the url from the address bar in the resulting window - then hit the back button and you're back where you started.

Margaret
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Website Feedback