RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Website Feedback
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Website Feedback Discussion of the retouchpro.com website and forums

user cp

Old 06-18-2002, 12:13 PM

I'd be willing to change the template to show those links somewhere.... changing templates is very simple in vb. All I'd need is a text file of the current relevant template.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2002, 12:19 PM
Janitor

You can't please everyone
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2002, 12:24 PM

Of course, if things changed now, all of those who are used to it and know their way around would be wandering around lost...

I think Doug's right - no matter what was done or not done, there'd be someone who would prefer it to be different...
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2002, 02:34 PM

LOL well I wasn't saying to get rid of the existing stuff, just maybe add a few links at the bottom of the page somewhere.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2002, 02:40 PM

Hey! Maybe it could be a new challenge... Like a 3-legged race... Or the one where you run with an egg on a spoon... Or an obstacle course even!

Who can figure out how to get to User CP fastest....!?

We could "tie" a little red ribbon on it for the winner to grab as a trophy.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2002, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug Nelson
You can't please everyone

I go to another site with the same basic format as this, but since it doesn't have the flying menu, it's much easier to navigate. The site is Wet Canvas.
Counldn't you at least slow it down. I atually have to race it to click things, and is not right, unless it's only my browser.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2002, 04:47 PM

What browser are you using Greg? I've viewed this site with Interent Explorer 5.5, Opera 6.x, Navigator 6.x, Communicator 4.x...and it worked fine with them all. Communicator was the only one that occasionally had problems but it's a pretty crummy browser IMHO.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2002, 05:44 PM

I'm wondering if it could't be a browser problem too, Greg.

I have never had to chase mine. I slide my cursor over to the left side of the screen, and the menu pops out and stays out for as long as I need it while my cursor is hovering over it. Then, when I'm done, I bring my cursor back toward the center of the screen and it slides back into its "drawer."

It never slides out accidentally, only when I hover my cursor over the gray bar. When I take my cursor off of the menu area, it disappears again.

The popout menu is one of the things I like best about the site. I think it's pretty slick. It's there when I want it, and when I don't it's not cluttering up my screen and taking up a lot of space that can be filled with more important content.

I'd be really disappointed if it were changed.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2002, 06:15 PM

I am a professional web designer as well (isn't it funny how little that means these days?) Anyway, I think this is a great site considering that it is done in people's spare time (I think--- am I right about that?) It is well maintained and fairly user friendly. The thing is, in the world of web design, people complain about EVERYTHING. Like Doug says, you can't please everyone. If he were to have everyone that wanted a feature going in and editing this site, then it would be total chaos.

People will bitch because of color, size, javascript, contrast, font - anything you can think of. The thing is that people can do all kinds of weird stuff to their browsers, increasing font size, etc. that will screw up even the best web design and programming. All you can do is program/design to reach the widest audience possible, and change things as they come up if you feel they are worth changing, but no matter what you do, someone won't be able to figure it out or have it work correctly. That is where you have to look at your audience and figure in what percentage are you really loosing vs. how much time it will take to reprogram for that one person.

There are millions of variables.

I say this with a smile, so don't take it the wrong way, I can just relate to people complaining about every little thing. I have expressed some concerns as well, but I don't expect anything to be done about them, just because I know they can't please everyone.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2002, 07:59 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
I'm *not* a web designer (surprise!) But I was a member before we had all the goodies. I think Doug has done a teriffic job! This site is *much* better than the old one. Is it perfect? Probably not, but it floats my boat! Danny mentioned the new site map. If it's anything like what I expect, it is excellent. Be patient!

Ed
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Website Feedback