Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Website Feedback
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Website Feedback Discussion of the website and forums

user cp

Old 06-18-2002, 07:41 PM
I'll just throw in my 2 cents regarding the flyout menu. I use the most recent version of IE and my screen resolution is at 800 x 600.

I have not had the problems with having to chase anything but I am not able to view all of the links on the "forum section" of the flyout menu. If I hit f11 then I gain more screen real estate and I see the entire menu. I am pretty sure the F11 trick only works with IE. Hitting this key removes the address bar, links bar, and one other bar that runs along the top of my browser.

If f11 is not selected I can not see anything below the link that says search. It took me awhile to even realize that there were other links below, one of them being "user CP"

Once I get used to it, it's not a big deal, but newer members may experience the same problem.

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2002, 07:50 PM
I'm not into Web Design (yet) but I have never had a problem with navigating this site or the flyout menu. Of all the forums that I visit this is my favorite.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2002, 07:56 PM
Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL

Thanks for the tip on the F-11 key. I didn't need it to see the menu, but I'm using a higher resolution. That tip might come in handy for something else though.

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2002, 07:57 PM

I had the same problem until I increased my screen resolution, then everything was easily visible. Changing my screen resolution made everything look microscopic though, so I changed the text viewing size in my browser to compensate. I think that's probably because a lot of people working with graphics have their screen res settings high.

I'll bet that Doug's computer settings while he was building the site affected the menu placement for people not using the same res settings.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-18-2002, 08:41 PM
It's natural for new folks (designers or not) to expect this site to BE a certain way, but all it takes is a little bit of time to learn the way it IS. I'm so happy with the recent improvements (including the flyout menu) that it's really hard for me to imagine how any newbie would have trouble finding anything, but it's bound to happen. As for any specifics problems with the flyout menu, during past discussions, it seemed to be individual browsers that were less compatible with the menu rather than any problem that needed to be fixed.

I'm sure that Doug will make future changes, either to fix something or just to make a change because he's bored with something, but at the present, it doesn't give me any problems that need fixing. It's always good to have feedback from new folks who see things from a fresh perspective, so keep critiqueing -- it will give "janitor" Doug a nice list of things to think about at 3AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2002, 06:00 AM
I should clarify... I don't have a problem with the menu on the side. It's fine exactly as it is (except that since it's the only real navigation, anyone without javascript turned on is sort of SOL). I was simply saying that a simple set of links across the bottom might be a good addition.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2002, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by G. Couch
What browser are you using Greg? I've viewed this site with Interent Explorer 5.5, Opera 6.x, Navigator 6.x, Communicator 4.x...and it worked fine with them all. Communicator was the only one that occasionally had problems but it's a pretty crummy browser IMHO.
I use Opera 5.02, I have NN4.7, and IE but don't like them much.

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2002, 10:43 AM
Maybe the Java is the problem. I don't think I have it in my Opera 5.02.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-19-2002, 11:31 AM
Greg - I was able to reproduce your problem! I used Opera 6.x and it displays RetouchPro just fine....until I change the monitor resolution to 800x600. The window for Opera is then so small that the menu does not fully fit. You have to scroll down really fast to be able to use the bottom options. You can try running Opera at full screen or increase your monitor resolution...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Website Feedback