Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Website Feedback
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Website Feedback Discussion of the retouchpro.com website and forums

Windows7 complaining about RetouchPro.com add-on

Old 09-29-2011, 12:37 AM
Patron

Windows7 complaining about RetouchPro.com add-on

Hi,

Lately every page that loads here generates a Windows7 error for me: "An add-on for this website failed to run. Check the security settings in Internet Options for potential conflicts." This is the only site where that message pops up and it only started happening recently.

I have Security and Privacy set to Medium and *.retouchpro.com is listed in my Trusted Sites.

Given how absolutely useless that Windows error message is, does anyone here have any other ideas?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2011, 12:51 AM
Janitor

Re: Windows7 complaining about RetouchPro.com add-

I don't even know what an "add-on" means in the context of a website. Unless they're talking about javascript, which has been used here for a decade. Or perhaps Flash, which is newer but still years old.

I haven't made any recent changes.

A quick google indicates many users reporting that error have just upgraded to a new IE version.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2011, 01:37 AM
Patron

That might be it. I'm still on IE 8 but Microsoft forced SP1 onto my machine very recently. That might well be causing the problem. Unfortunately this is the only site where that msg pops up. NAPP also runs a VBulletin site but no problems there.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2011, 11:24 PM

check your 'internet options' stuff in i.e. I've had similar error messages in the past when i changed settings on things like scripts, cookies, and other stuff in there. it might take some fiddling to find the right ones. you might also have to set retouchpro up as a trusted site, but i seem to remember this is more about i.e. internet options and some of those things like across domains or scripts. sorry, i dont recall the exact ones.

more than likely when you updated to i.e. 8, it set all the settings back to the default ones. not all vbulletin forums run the same stuff behind the scenes. that's probably why you can run fine on one but have trouble on another... and the more i think about it, the more it sounds like scripts. check those settings in i.e. internet options.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2011, 05:51 AM
Patron

I already had. As I shared above, IE makes doing that quite un-helpful. None of the Privacy nor Security settings (None, Medium, High) work. The only other thing to do is go down that long list of a couple hundred Customize settings, which is untenable.

Also, I didn't upgrade to IE8, it came with my machine (I'm running Windows7). And it didn't start happening until recently. I really like coming to this forum, so this is really annoying, it must have been some patch or something from Windows Update.

Also, this is the only VBulletin site (or any type of site) where that happens for every page I load from the site, so it's something site-specific.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2011, 07:00 AM
Janitor

Have you tried clearing your cache?

Also, the error message is unique to ActiveX controls. The only ActiveX control used on this site is Flash, so you might want to go to adobe.com and install the latest version (one just launched this past week).
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2011, 07:18 AM
Patron

Yes, I've cleared cache several times. History, cookies, Temp Internet files. Will try upgrading to the latest Flash as well (I was on the previous latest one, will try this one too).

I really like your avatar, by the way Seems pretty appropriate in this case as well
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Website Feedback