RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Website Feedback
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Website Feedback Discussion of the retouchpro.com website and forums

Missing scroll bar?

Old 08-31-2002, 10:17 PM

Missing scroll bar?

My scroll bar, normally on the right side of my window, has "disappeared" today when I visit RetouchPro sites. The scroll bar is in view on other websites, and works normally. In RetouchPro, I have to view in full-screen mode to have a scroll bar. (This is do-able, but restricts my access to my other windows, etc.)

Any ideas/fixes? Anyone else having/had this problem? I run a PC; I'm aware that Macs have some problems on the site, but I've never encountered any before. I adjusted my vertical on my monitor, but there's still no scroll bar...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg no-scroll-bar.jpg (56.3 KB, 26 views)
Old 08-31-2002, 10:22 PM
Janitor

Your's is the second complaint, so don't go feeling all weird or anything.

I was all happy that the navbar author released a new version, hoping it would fix the old complaints. So I installed it earlier today. It may or may not have fixed some problems, but it appears to have introduced some new ones.

Be patient, I'll work tonight and tomorrow to try to find a solution to this (hopefully one that doesn't require redesigning the whole site to make room for static links on every page).

By the way, is it like that on the entire site, or just the forums?
Old 08-31-2002, 10:30 PM

Doug, for me -- it's on the whole site (except those pages that link to outside sites like Amazon, etc.)

Now don't go losing any sleep over this (any EXTRA sleep, anyway) -- using the F11 full-screen mode does work for me, and probably works for the other poor soul afflicted... A fix will be great, but no need for an instant fix.
Old 08-31-2002, 10:41 PM
Janitor

Thanks for your understanding.

Also, any information you (or anyone else having problems) could provide would be helpful. OS, browser type and version, etc. Have you tried other browsers? Newer browsers? Etc.

I might as well ask here if there are any Mac users reading this that have noticed the old problems have been fixed (since that's what I was trying to repair by upgrading).
Old 08-31-2002, 10:47 PM

I had the exact same problem today on my Mac with IE browser. I restarted IE and it was fine again. I often have problems with IE...Microsoft products generally suck, I have found. Which is why I would never use Windows!

Phyllis
Old 08-31-2002, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug Nelson

I might as well ask here if there are any Mac users reading this that have noticed the old problems have been fixed (since that's what I was trying to repair by upgrading).
Hi Doug, yes the problem with not being able to access links on the furtherest left 2 inches of the screen seems to have cleared up - way to go

I look forward to being able to click on links without having to drag windows around and resize them. Thanks!!

Margaret
Old 08-31-2002, 11:03 PM
Janitor

So I've basically traded alienating one set of users for alienating a different set of users

But I'm glad the old problems are gone. Now, onto the new problems (this is why I have my particular avatar)
Old 08-31-2002, 11:09 PM

I don't have a problem, but a possible workaround for CJ could be to use the arrow keys. I found by accident that they worked on a site which removed my scrollbar.
Old 08-31-2002, 11:25 PM
Janitor

I've done a bit of research, and have a couple of questions for the scrollbar deficient:

Are you viewing with your browser maximized?
If you resize your browser window, do the scrollbars reappear?

Both of these are known bugs in the Win version of IE
Old 09-01-2002, 05:19 AM

I use IE5.00, browser maximized, resizing does NOT create scroll bar, although scroll bar does appear when I go to Full Screen mode using F11.

All other websites I have visited today have been normal, and all other windows contain scroll bar -- except RetouchPro.

Al -- my arrows don't work when scroll bar is missing, but function key F11 gives me back the scroll bar -- at expense of my bottom toolbar.

Hmmm, either I just noticed this, or it just started doing this --- the scroll bar is there on the page that flutters in between the main forum page and the list of new threads (or last 24 hours) -- but then it disappears again when the new page with the list appears.

Last edited by CJ Swartz; 09-01-2002 at 06:30 AM.
Old 09-01-2002, 08:54 AM

CJ, I've got the same problem. I found that by holding both mouse buttons down and dragging the cursor up and down it will scroll...kinda....Funny thing is my Laptop and the Computer upstairs dont display any problem...the scroll bar is there and working. I'm using IE 5 with all kinds of updates/patches installed. O/S Win98 SE. Tom
Old 09-01-2002, 10:20 AM

No problems here. Win98 and IE 5.5.

Gary
Old 09-01-2002, 12:57 PM

Quote:
by holding both mouse buttons down and dragging the cursor up and down it will scroll...kinda -- Tom
Tom -- that works for me too! (kinda) -- very inventive! THANKS for sharing!

Doug -- I've found that the scroll bar is PRESENT when I view the IMAGE in the OLD Challenges -- it does NOT show when I view the Challenge description page, but when I click on the image to get the enlarged view -- voila! the scroll bar is there also. The bar is NOT visible when I visit the NEW Challenge pages -- even when I view the enlarged image -- although it "appears" to be visible as the screen refreshes (not sure if that's correct term -- when the page is changing from one window view to another - there's a "stutter" or flicker of the page) -- it looks like the bar might be there for that second or two. Hope this helps a bit.
Old 09-01-2002, 02:29 PM
Janitor

Perhaps some brave soul who is having problems would be willing to upgrade to the newest version of the browser and report if any improvement is made?

Additionally, I'm reading that cacheing portions of a page can cause problems like this. This site includes code that disables cacheing for just that reason, but you might be overriding that in your browser setup. Check and see what your cache setting is at. Mine is set to "automatic", which I recommend (under Tools>Internet Options>General (tab)>Temporary Internet Files>Settings).

Also, are there any NON-IE users having these new problems? And, of the IE users, any non-Windows users?
Old 09-01-2002, 03:37 PM

Opera and Mozilla OK Doug.
Old 09-01-2002, 03:45 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
For some reason, I haven't noticed a problem. I'm running Windows XP with IE6.

Ed
Old 09-01-2002, 04:18 PM

cache setting is set to "automatic". Win98Se

Does the fact that the scroll bar shows up in the enlarged version of the Challenge entries, but not the thumbnail or image with challenge work description versions MEAN ANYTHING?

I'm NOT gonna be the one to 'upgrade' to IE6... IE5.0 has been doing fine, thanks.
Old 09-01-2002, 05:41 PM
Janitor

I can't get technical support unless someone having a problem upgrades to a current browser.

Would be like calling Adobe and complaining about PS5 not running some new filters. Actually, that's not precise. It would be like calling a filter company and complaining their new filter won't run on old versions of PS. Or maybe that's not it, either, but you know what I mean.

Regardless, I need someone experiencing this problem willing to move into year 2002 with me so we can debug this sucker
Old 09-01-2002, 06:13 PM

HI Doug
Did you reason out the trouble I had. That was with XP and IE 6.0+
Old 09-01-2002, 09:38 PM
Janitor

One of the most frustrating parts of intermittent problems like this (aside from the fact that I can't see the actual problem) is that people start assuming that one problem is related to other problems they're having. I'm guilty of this myself.

For example, another user reported a navbar weirdness and it actually had nothing to do with this problem, even though it seemed to be related (that one was due to my stupid misconfiguration of a stylesheet, which are brand new to this navbar version and I'm learning to use as I go).

I'm not trying to shift blame here, just trying to keep the focus on one specific problem in this thread.

Nick, if I'm not mistaken, your situation was related to offline reading and is solved by reading online? Dynamic pages aren't designed for friendly offline reading, particularly those with javascript. Dynamic pages are pages (like this one) that don't even exist until you click a link to view them. They are then quickly written and downloaded so you can read them. I'm surprised offline reading worked for you up to this point.

We'll be making even more forays into the bleeding edge in the upcoming months. Many of my plans aren't even possible with current technology, so I'm sure we'll have even more weirdness when they do become available.

But I am working very hard behind-the-scenes to make things as painless as possible. Plus I'm learning a lot as we go along (I'm not a web-designer by profession, or even by hobby).

Apologies to all, again, and take heart, I've already gotten word that at least three of our users are now back to full RP normality.
Old 09-01-2002, 10:33 PM

Just a note:
I installed IE6 from download at Microsoft update page ...it is around 20mb...have been running it through its paces and so far so good.
The problems with the Scrollbar and menu have disappeared...all works normally. No conflicts with any installed applications or System instability/weirdness. No data loss, no nothing...it just works!
I would suggest that before downloading turn off your Virus program and keep it off until IE6 is completely installed( including the restart). Once download is complete you have to restart your Computer. Do a complete shutdown, not a restart from the START menu...I did the restart thing, the computer hung and I had to reboot, then everything went smoothly.
Be aware, it may look as though Windows hangs at the pretty windows screen but it has not....it just is really taking its time loading ....next a pop up with "updating...." will appear...this also takes a long time to "do it's thing". Dont get nervous...just give it some time....
Once done, the desktop icons will appear, possibly slowly and jerky like.
I shut down at this point and restarted, everything loaded like it usually does...no weirdness etc.. Log on, normal,; site came up, all scrollbars etc. visible and working well.....same for various other sites I checked ( by the way there are some great deals on used electron microscopes now)....
SO......it seems that upgrading will solve the problems, it is painless, seems IE6 works well with W98SE....if I find anything over the next couple of days, I'll post it, but for those who are still using IE flavor 5.x it might be worth considering an upgrade...If I can do it, Anyone can!!!! Tom
Old 09-02-2002, 06:00 AM

Tom -- thank you very much for being the brave volunteer, and for reviewing the safe landing your PC made with IE6. (I had read some unhappy reviews about IE5.5, and some gripes about some changes in 6.0, and was in no hurry to change from a known working program.) Soooo, I went ahead and upgraded my browser to 6.0, and have the happy return of the scroll bar.

Addendum: now I have that annoying/helpful "image toolbar" on every downloadable image IE6 views -- it's useful for some folks, but is not an esthetic addition to any image. At least they gave me a way to turn it off.

Doug - one less problem for you.

Last edited by CJ Swartz; 09-02-2002 at 06:17 AM.
Old 09-02-2002, 07:50 PM

The scroll bar is there for netscape6, but not there for IE6. I've never been happy since going to IE6 because no matter how hard I try I can't get it to accept cookies.

I'm using Windows98 on a fast connection with P3 computer.
The scroll bar went absent about the same time as for others.

One thing that's happened recently is when I return to the site and click for new messages in the forums the search comes up empty. This has been going on for several days at least.

MIg
Old 09-02-2002, 09:34 PM
Janitor

Mig:

re: cookies, see if you have your security cranked up too high, or list *retouchpro* as an exception.
Old 09-06-2002, 08:57 AM

Lightbulb Sticking my nose where it wasn't asked for

My IE 5.0 is missing scrollbar.

Here is a suggestion for the menu bar: Change the art to include a right arrow.
It wasn't intuitive to a newbie (me) that it will pull out to reveal more options (duh).
Once I expanded it, I then expect it to display subcategories, like the the Windows "START" layout.
Old 09-06-2002, 06:12 PM

Hi Doug

I have very recently noticed this problem with certain RP forums. The right side of the page is cut off with no way to scroll over to it. I am using IE 5.5 with Windows ME. I have attached a screen shot. No heart burn hear but thought you might want to know.

Thanks
Jerry

Edit: I also get empty searches for new posts. Not all of the time but probably half of the time..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screenshot.jpg (69.1 KB, 15 views)
Old 09-06-2002, 06:21 PM
Janitor

Jerry:

Looks like you need to turn down your font settings. No idea why yours are showing up so huge, but your ss shows some lines where only one word will fit.

View>Text Size

As for missing bottom scrollbar, working on that with the software author.

As for empty searches for new posts, I guess sometimes there just aren't any new posts.
Old 09-06-2002, 06:28 PM

Jerry - That looks like you are running your monitor at 640x480...if you can, try bumping that up to at least 800x600. The site looks best at 800x600 and above...for some reason, anything below that does not display a side to side scrollbar. It's only a problem in IE though...I reduced my resolution to 640x480 and the site works fine with the various flavors of Netscape and Opera. If you can't raise the monitor's resolution, you might try one of those browsers.
Old 09-06-2002, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug Nelson
Jerry:

As for empty searches for new posts, I guess sometimes there just aren't any new posts.
I also get empty searches for new posts about 1 out of five times.
This happens even though there are yellow check marks indicating new posts on the main forum page. In addition, I find that if I return to the main forum page, I can find the new threads on my own...it just takes longer.

Jim
Old 09-06-2002, 10:00 PM
Janitor

I rebuilt the search index a couple of days ago. I'll do some research to see if one has anything to do with the other.

In the meantime, lets keep this thread about scrollbars. Anyone with more information about search oddities please feel free to start another thread.
Old 09-06-2002, 10:19 PM

Hi Greg
I am running 1024 X 768 resolution.. THis is the only site where I am seeing this problem..

Thanks
Jerry

Edit: Doug,

Changing the text size has helped. I don't know why it was different all of a sudden...Computers totally baflfle me..

Thanks

Last edited by jerry; 09-06-2002 at 10:24 PM.
Old 09-06-2002, 10:26 PM
Janitor

Me too
Old 09-07-2002, 02:03 AM

Doug -- the font size is changing AS I VIEW the website this evening. It's gone from LARGE to medium to small in front of my eyes!

Just thought you might NEED to know (not want to know)...
Old 09-07-2002, 02:08 AM
Janitor

You caught me playing
Old 09-07-2002, 02:31 AM

yes..I caught that as well! Made me laugh pretty good...talk about big fonts!

I upgraded to IE 6 the other day and it seemed to fix a few of the intermittent menu bar problems I had. Anyone on IE 5.x should probably consider upgrading, as it could help solve the scroll bar problem as well. It seemed to fix Tom's problems and fixed most of mine.

Mig - I think in order to get IE 6 to accept all cookies you have to drop your security settings down either "low" or "accept all cookies".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled-1 copy.jpg (27.7 KB, 8 views)
Old 09-07-2002, 03:19 AM

Just adding myself to the list...

I get no scrollbar when I access the site from work (Win95, IE5.x) but everything is fine from home (Win98, IE6).

Actually I only installed IE6 at home about a month ago as I'd just got ADSL and was looking for big things to download as a matter of principle... Looks like it may have been a good call!

Leah
Old 09-07-2002, 03:31 AM
Janitor

The software author has promised to look into this problem, but he's in the same boat as me (working with no budget in his free time).

Until he does iron it out, the free IE6 upgrade does seem like the best solution.
Old 09-07-2002, 06:40 PM

I just got the 5.5 update to IE and that seems to have fixed the missing scroll bar problem. I think that is a little less of a download than 6. Hope this helps those that need to update...

--tks
Old 09-08-2002, 04:50 AM

Just to throw the cat amongst the pigeons:

Running Win98SE + IE5.5 at home and Win95OSR2.1 + IE5.5 at work (IE with all the latest patches), and am having no problems whatsover. Just that little glitch last week.

for Doug.

RetouchPRO > Community > Website Feedback