RetouchPRO

RetouchPRO (http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/)
-   Website Feedback (http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/website-feedback/)
-   -   Popout Menu Problem (http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/website-feedback/3718-popout-menu-problem.html)

Jakaleena 08-31-2002 11:49 PM

Popout Menu Problem

I was reading through CJ's thread about problems with the scroll bar, and thought I would mention that my popout menu keeps disappearing too...

Jakaleena 08-31-2002 11:53 PM

I just noticed a pattern for when it's disappearing. Individual threads have a menu, but main pages don't seem to.

For example, if I want to get the last 24 hour posts, I have to activate a thread and get the menu from there.

Anyone else having menu problems? Or is my browser having a brain f*rt...? :)

Doug Nelson 09-01-2002 12:02 AM

Things get weirderer and weirderer. There should be no difference, since it's exactly the same routines loaded for every page.

Let me stew on this awhile while you get some Gas/X for your brain :)

chiquitita 09-01-2002 03:48 AM

I just had the same problem. I clicked forums from the front page menu, and on the forums page I had no menu. I clicked back and did it again and it worked that time.. Weird.

By the way,

Win XP
IE 6.0.26

Nothing at all has changed on my computer since I visited last.

CJ Swartz 09-01-2002 05:23 AM

Jak -- Yikes! Losing the Menu bar is worse than partially losing the scroll bar (since I can access it in Full Screen mode). Does the F11 key make any difference to your situation -- while Doug is exploring the final fix?

fugitive 09-01-2002 06:01 AM

Yes, I have it too, but since it has other problems that go unfixed, I figured it fruitless to keep bringing it up.

chiquitita 09-01-2002 06:42 AM

It seems to be random (sort of). It happened again just now exactly the same way, I clicked back and did it again and it worked. Tis strange.

Will try F11 if it happens again.

Jakaleena 09-01-2002 07:08 AM

I tried F11 CJ, but going to Full Screen mode doesn't make the menu come back if it disappears.

Fugitive - I thought the problem you had with the menu was not that you didn't have one, but that you didn't like it and wanted it to go away. Maybe I've misunderstood your problem?

Seems kind of hard to navigate now that mine has disappeared... I like the popout menu. I want it back... :)

Doug Nelson 09-01-2002 02:55 PM

Jak:

What version of IE are you using? So far, all the people that have mentioned a browser version have mentioned using a 5.x version.

I'd really appreciate it if some 5.x version user that was experiencing problems would upgrade to the current version of IE and let me know if they still have problems.

dcarr 09-01-2002 03:01 PM

Doug,
I've had ie6 all along. Yesterday I had a disappearing menu bar but it came back. At one point, the menu choices highlighted in red but that also stopped. I have had no consistent problem and none that I noticed today, but I was on more yesterday. Mine seem to be just glitches, not real problems like the others, but were there for a period.
Debbie

fugitive 09-01-2002 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Jakaleena
I tried F11 CJ, but going to Full Screen mode doesn't make the menu come back if it disappears.

Fugitive - I thought the problem you had with the menu was not that you didn't have one, but that you didn't like it and wanted it to go away. Maybe I've misunderstood your problem?

Seems kind of hard to navigate now that mine has disappeared... I like the popout menu. I want it back... :)

I have 2 problems with it. 1) it jumps out at me and actually prevents me from clicking on a forum or name, because it runs into my cursor, which stops it from being able to pick something.
2) the problem just mentioned, that doesn't bug me that much, that it is gone from many windows.
greg

Doug Nelson 09-01-2002 03:09 PM

Debbie: Intermittent problems, especially yesterday, are most likely caused by my fiddling with the installation while the board is still live. I'm more concerned with consistent, repeatable, current problems.

Greg: Can I get a screenshot of how the forum appears on your monitor? There should be more than enough distance between the navbar and the forum itself to prevent any accidental popping out. Are you left-handed by any chance?

Blacknight 09-01-2002 03:23 PM

Same computer and everything for me, but NO popout menu at all. Haven't tried EVERYPLACE, but none here, and none on search for new posts page either.
:wavey:

chiquitita 09-01-2002 04:04 PM

I know these are the worst type of problems to try and fix, but this appears to be very random. I have the problem with no pop-out when I visit the forums page for the first time in, say, several hours. Just now I tried closing my browser to see if the problem repeated upon first opening the browser, but it didn't. This time I had a pop-out on the main page, and on the forums page, but when I clicked on "last 24 hours", that page was missing one. Once again, if I click back and try again, it works. Very random. Sounds like a corrupt file somewhere.

Jakaleena 09-01-2002 04:09 PM

chiquitita has described exactly what mine is doing too...

(BTW, I'm on WinNT with IE6)

Blacknight 09-01-2002 04:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Once every 6 or 7 windows I get SOMETHING like a popout menu. IE 5.1.5 for Mac, OS9.1 (same as it has been all along, but only the last two days has this problem shown up).

Sanda 09-01-2002 04:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is what I'm getting when I try to use the menu pop out.
I'm using Netscape.

Blacknight 09-01-2002 05:00 PM

I get the same as Sanda, in Netscape, but running the cursor over the menu items causes them to appear, and then they seem to stay there. No joy with IE, though. Oh - and can't seem to login with Netscape either.

Jakaleena 09-01-2002 05:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's mine - just completely AWOL altogether... :bawling:

Doug Nelson 09-01-2002 05:43 PM

This has nothing to do with anything, but in all these screenshots you people are using some enormous fonts :)

Jakaleena 09-01-2002 05:48 PM

Hmmm....

Either I'm blind as a bat, or you have Superman vision :)

I have to use that size font, I broke my magnifying glass... :tongue:

Doug Nelson 09-01-2002 05:58 PM

Sanda: See if there has been any change in Netscape. Believe it or not, that has nothing to do with everyone else's scrollbar problem. That's just due to my CSS incompetence :)

Sanda 09-01-2002 06:24 PM

Netscape is working just fine now Doug. :)

winwintoo 09-01-2002 09:04 PM

Hi Doug, everything was working this morning before I left, and now after being away all day, I don't have a pop-out menu at all - tried several forum pages.

Since I don't have the menu, I decided to log on to the main site and check behavior there. I typed in http://www.retouchpro.com and got a blank (black) page! I tried several times and that's all I got. No indication that the page was waiting to load, no error, just the black page of doom. Don't know what that's about.

I know you have enough problems right now, but thought you'd want to know.

I'm using Mac OS 9.2 and IE 5.1.3

Margaret

Doug Nelson 09-01-2002 09:15 PM

If anyone gets the "black page of doom", do me a favor and use 'view source' to see if anything actually downloaded. You don't have to send it to me, or post any excerps here, just see if it looks like there is text in the source that isn't displaying.

winwintoo 09-01-2002 09:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Doug, sorry I didn't think to view source before I posted before. I'm including a screen shot of the left third of the source (it stretches beyond the screen to the right)

I don't trust my javascript knowledge enough to even attempt to interpret what's happening here - if this isn't enough to give you an idea, I can grab the whole thing into a text editor and send it. Let me know.

This screen shot is to the bottom of the source page, and only cuts off a couple of standard tags at the top.

Hope this helps,
Margaret

Doug Nelson 09-01-2002 10:33 PM

Margaret:

Do me a favor and go back to that same page and tell me if you see any difference (ie: still see the POD)

fugitive 09-01-2002 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Doug Nelson
Debbie: Intermittent problems, especially yesterday, are most likely caused by my fiddling with the installation while the board is still live. I'm more concerned with consistent, repeatable, current problems.

Greg: Can I get a screenshot of how the forum appears on your monitor? There should be more than enough distance between the navbar and the forum itself to prevent any accidental popping out. Are you left-handed by any chance?

No, rite. I can't get it to do the thing right now because the menu has disappeared in most windows. I will when it goes back to it's normal disfunctional behavior.
greg

BigAl 09-02-2002 02:50 AM

Mine was fine too until a few moments ago, now menubar gone. Up until now, I had been catching up on my subscribed threads from email links (the flyout menubar was alive as it popped out as I ran over it), but as soon as I went in and used the menus, it disappeared.

Doug, it's almost like we're back in the old days when you first introduced the flyout menubar.

winwintoo 09-02-2002 07:11 AM

Doug, I just checked http://www.retouchpro.com again and still get the POD. I checked the source again and see that there is now a </html> tag at the bottom that I didn't see before, but still the page won't load.

I don't envy you trying to track this down - I know what it's like to make one change and have so many other things unintentally affected.

If I'm the only one having this problem, don't worry about it. As soon as I get a chance, I'll upgrade my browser (if there is a new Mac version) and let you know how that goes.

Thanks, Margaret

winwintoo 09-02-2002 07:24 AM

Doug, I just checked and there is not major Mac upgrade for IE the only download available is 5.1.5 (I'm currently using 5.1.3) but I will download it and give it a try anyway.

I tried Netscape Communicator (4.77) and could get to the RetouchPro home page and had the pop-out menu there, but it disappeared as soon as I went to a forum page. In netscape, the font is way to small for me to see and apparently it can't be adjusted. My old eyes can't read anything that small :(

Margaret

winwintoo 09-02-2002 08:03 AM

Hi Doug, I haven't changed anything, but I now can get to the RetouchPro home page - whatever you did must have worked.

I have the pop-out menu on the home page and other pages from the home page menu, but not on forum pages.

Margaret

Blacknight 09-02-2002 06:34 PM

I don't know what you did, Doug, but whatever you did DON'T CHANGE IT! For the first time EVER I have popout menu AND access to left side stuff (like being able to vote without resizing my window, or selecting the smilies on the leftmost column!) :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

winwintoo 09-02-2002 06:58 PM

BK, what are you using? I thought you had a Mac, what OS and browser are you using. I don't get the pop-out menu. I tried IE 5.1.5, but I still didn't get the menu and the new istall didn't pick up all the plug-ins and settings and stuff, so I went back to IE 5.1.3 (I don't have time today to mess with trying to get it all sorted out)

I'm glad the menu is back for you, but I thought we were using the same configuration.

Margaret

dcarr 09-02-2002 07:57 PM

Doug,
Most of today, my menu bar played hide and seek. Now, it seems locked in one place. If I'm at top of screen I get top of bar. Midway down, middle all he way down nothing. It stays on top and I have to scroll up and down to access areas.
Debbie

Jakaleena 09-02-2002 08:39 PM

Yeah!!!!

My menu seems to be working again!

Thank you, Doug! :D

Doug Nelson 09-02-2002 09:39 PM

I even managed to screw it up for myself, earlier today. I was fiddling with different configurations, then looking at the site in my browser, did a really stupid misconfiguration and the navbar disappeared. Fixed it and it was still gone. It was in my cache. So I did the old ctrl-reload and it came back.

I suspect at least a couple of folk that are having problems had a bad version in their cache. Since I'm not taking the site offline while I reconfigure, several ppl got the benefit of watching my experiments live.

ctrl-reload might fix it (or it might break it if it's working for you :) )

fugitive 09-03-2002 03:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I see, someone's been busy. Mine left and then came back. It seems to stay away from my cursor as I'm trying to choose things, but opens really fast and leaves verticle lines behind. This could be my video dr. I suspect it's not very good.
greg

BigAl 09-03-2002 03:22 AM

All's well again for me on the forums, but in the gallery, no menu.

Greg, could be that you need a video card with more RAM??

d_kendal 09-03-2002 11:49 PM

Greg,

the problem is with Opera. I use Opera 6 and i get exactly the same thing, but i dont have any of that in IE or Netscape.

- David :)