RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Community > Website Feedback
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Website Feedback Discussion of the retouchpro.com website and forums

RetouchPRO Sponsorship (trial balloon)

Old 06-11-2004, 02:30 AM

I've now read all the above. It seems to me that maybe Doug needs to be looking at RP as a business. But is that what he wants? I bet not.

I am not a pro in any sence of the photog/graphics world. I visit regularly four sites for my Photoshop fix. They are Napp=$99/yr, dpreview+0/yr,Photoshoptechnicques=0/yr,and here. At some level I find all useful but this is were the fun is.

I go screw up the capture on an image that I really want but don't know how to fix. I post in the retouch section and get told how to fix it. Now I wonder how to play with it and what could be done. another section post in Photo-Art of the 'fixed' image and I not only see what is possible but am wowed off my feet by the things people here do to my original image but they TEACH ME how to do it too.

I want to join this site (or should it be sight) because it has done more for me than any other. I find it, like others, intimidating because most sites have only a relative few of their members doing all the talking so you are, of course, put off for fear you will come off as depriving some village of their idiot. I must say that no one here has ever done that to me but... I fear.

As a busssinessman I would like to set down and figure a budget and form a business plan then make a proposal to all of us. I think this has been a labor of love and so that won't happen. Should it be desired, I'll be there when asked.

I don't know what is the best way but I want something as open and free-in the sence the present site is, for without free acess how do you get new members? NAPP did it with a poor site and a fair magizine, do we need another print magizine? We got to find a way to get the bucks without losing the newbies 'cause they are the future.

I sent an email to Doug a month or so ago saying I would help out with $ but I didn't want to go thru Amazon. I still don't. That remains a hang-up for me.

Mean while, $600 isn't all that much to tide things over and I'll send a part as soon as I find out where; who'll help?

Robert Collins
Seattle

P.S. Doug Re: Your post above at the top of pg.2: Maybe you should look at how the post we are now in is posted.It took me three or four days to find it. How was I to know that you could/would post off the base forum?

Last edited by Robt; 06-11-2004 at 02:39 AM. Reason: Read Doug's post again on top of page 2
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2004, 07:56 AM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robt
Mean while, $600 isn't all that much to tide things over and I'll send a part as soon as I find out where; who'll help?
Robert Collins
Seattle
Several of us are putting money into supporting this site, and have been. In my case, donations are not high $ amounts, but they are always there when we have a fund raising drive. There are others who want to use the site, but do not want to even put in a few $. That's why I think a mandatory donation might be a good idea for people who want to use the site. If there is to be a sponsorship, and some don't want to opt for it, they should at least give a donation. Even though some people don't have much in expendable funds, I think everyone could afford at least something. Just think....at $10.00 per donation, it wouldn't take too many contributors to pay the bills.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2004, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Nelson
If we were any more streamlined we wouldn't exist at all
Well, I suppose streamlining does not have to mean cutting things...just organizing them in a better manner perhaps. I'd like to see the many aspects of the site better integrated at some point...that's more an issue of money, and programming than anything. It would be nice to have a dynamic frontpage (PHP) that integrates articles, forum posts, user settings, etc... but that's still a ways off I guess...I have not kept track of vBulletins plans for some kind CMS software...and even with such software,it would probably require a knowledgable programmer to help customize it for RetouchPRo.

One idea came to mind for something only "sponsor members" would would have access to...articles written by pros. This would require RetouchPro to become a bit of an online publishing company (you would have to solicit and pay for such articles...just like any professional e-zine) but it would give you some exclusive content that a great many folks would probably be willing to pay for.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2004, 08:15 PM
Janitor

Articles, touring classes and trade events, in-person certification, custom software (both web and desktop), trade association, group buying discounts, job placement, multimedia and printed content, all these and more have been part of my dream since before I put up the first single webpage.

But none of it will happen without some sort of initial toe-hold.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2004, 09:57 PM

I tend to be a little dense sometimes on these kind of things, but ...
Quote:
what would constitute a 'toe-hold'?

On a seperate note I would like to say I think all ideas put forward have been great - what is done might just depend on what the goals are, which brings us back to the toe hold question ...

Roger

edited for clarification

Last edited by roger_ele; 06-11-2004 at 10:28 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2004, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Nelson
Articles, touring classes and trade events, in-person certification, custom software (both web and desktop), trade association, group buying discounts, job placement, multimedia and printed content, all these and more have been part of my dream since before I put up the first single webpage.

Unfortunately many of these would exclude the international community - unless your planning to travel the world Doug.

Suggestion: Any donations paid from a certain date be taken off of any subscription that is eventually agreed - that way you can start getting some funds in without so much pressure to decide the way forward.

Suggestion: If you do go for a fixed subscription you need to keep enough of the site 'free' to tempt the newcomers, but also have enough that is subscriber only to encourage the subscription, possibly the tutorials and archives.

Christine

Last edited by Xaran; 06-11-2004 at 10:29 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2004, 10:26 PM
Janitor

A toe-hold in this case being a degree of financial support beyond simply keeping the lights on. Paying authors or programmers or renting venues or hiring printers or anything else that has been suggested requires significant funding in advance.

So we're in a catch-22 situation. No new services without funding, no funding without new services. Which is why I came up with the sponsorship idea, as it uses resources we already have available to generate revenue that can then be used to pay for other services, which would then create more sponsorships, which would pay for even more services, etc.

If it's simply my analogy that confused you, to climb a mountain you first need something to push off on (the toe-hold).
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-11-2004, 10:33 PM
Janitor

Somewhere a misunderstanding was introduced into this thread. If we did go with sponsorships, nothing at all would change for non-sponsoring members. Nothing, not even the introduction of the occasional new feature. I thought I said that in the first post.

Non-sponsors would not notice one tiny difference (except possibly more new members).

Sponsorship would be for those who make money via retouching and restoration. Those that do it simply for the enjoyment or for friends and family would still have every resource here they currently enjoy. Plus the inevitable leak-over of resources from the professional area.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2004, 12:36 AM

Sponsorship

In order to keep a site growing all users should consider support. On the photo.net site they solicit sponsors and indicate them with symbol after their user name. There are other small perks and regular feedback to submissions. I believe that this site, RP, is very useful to anyone wanting to improve their image manipulation skills. A contest may be OK. Also consider giving recognition to consistently high quality of submissions.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2004, 05:23 PM

Can you elaborate on this?
Quote:
Sponsorship would be for those who make money via retouching and restoration.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Community > Website Feedback