RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > What's New
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

What's New New additions to the website and forums (recommended you subscribe to receive e-mail notification)

Updates

Old 01-26-2003, 10:50 PM
Janitor

Five new Challenges, including four of the usual plus a Gallery Challenge.

Three new tutorials, including two for non-Photoshop users.

We obviously got some great Challenge materials submissions since my last update, but I'm still virtually out of all non-Restoration Challenge possibles. Send in your Retouching, Manipulation, and Photo-Art possible Challenges today!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-14-2003, 10:51 PM
Janitor

Four new Challenges. We got one really good Retouching Challenge original since last time, but now I'm out of Retouching Challenge material again.

Check out the new items in the Reviews section. Almost 300 items for you to have opinions on, and of course you can submit any other items you'd like. I put in every new Photoshop book I could find, and a bunch of other stuff.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-17-2003, 01:30 AM
Janitor

Four new Challenges that I especially like (since I've had some time to think about them). None of these use submitted materials, but we have gotten some in (though not nearly enough, keep 'em coming).

Well, it finally happened. We ran out of server space. Don't go fretting, though. This was seen coming a long time ago, and the last donation drive covered it. I temporarily deleted the Archives to keep us going for the upcoming couple of weeks, and I'm negotiating for more space right now.

This won't, however, give us unlimited space. In web terms, there's no such thing. Most likely it will tide us over until our current server contract expires this summer. It is, however, an excellent example of your donations at work keeping this site alive and growing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2003, 09:29 PM
Janitor

Four new Challenges all with a flower theme (I'm got a bit of Spring fever).

The server space problem will take longer than I thought to fix, but only because we have to wait a couple of months for a new class of service to be offered by our webserver company. Once they have the new service rolled out, we'll have oodles of space and bandwidth to play with.

I was hoping to announce a major new feature addition to our site, but some technical problems have to be worked out first. In the meantime, I'll just shamelessly tease you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-05-2003, 01:12 PM
Janitor

I posted a new Retouching Challenge, and made the decision that I'll post new Challenges as I find good subjects, rather than waiting until I have something to post in all 4 categories. This will probably lead to more Challenges overall, but will also require a bit more vigilance on your part to watch for them. I'll mention them in future updates, but by that time they may have been up for a couple of weeks.

The biggest news is our new Critique forum. Previously we had it lumped together with "Help Requested" which probably diluted them both. Now they each have their own discrete area. Greg Couch is spearheading the critique effort, so make sure you read his introductory posts before jumping in. This is a serious effort at cultivating genuine and useful critiques, so everyone's cooperation with the guidelines is necessary to keep it as such.

As for my big tease, while my internet connection was down for two weeks a new version of the software was released. Once I got back online I got all excited and updated my prototype. And it bombed. So now we're waiting on a bugfix that the authors have been promising "any day now" for two weeks.

Some of you may be noticing more total posts as you browse the forums. This is because I changed the default view from "last 30 days" to "show all". It struck me that a lot of reinventing the wheel was going on, particularly with new users, so this is a gentle nudge of encouragement to read older posts. If you want it to go back to the way it was before, you can customize your view via your control panel.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-26-2003, 05:07 AM
Janitor

As promised, several Challenges have been posted since the last update.

Check out the new Art Tag game over in the Gallery forum.

Sometime in the upcoming week or so we'll be moving to a new server, so don't be surprised if you can't access the forums for a couple of days.

Either during the move, or shortly thereafter, I'll be upgrading almost all of the software we use so there will be a lot of new features to play with.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-23-2003, 01:19 AM
Janitor

Ok, new Challenges, new Gallery software version, yadda yadda...

But none of that matters this week because:

The big tease is over! The "secret project" I've been promising and stalling about is now here!

What is it, you ask? Just this: our new Tutorial Publishing System.

What is it, you ask? From now on, any registered member can publish and maintain their own tutorials, instantly, with a WYSIWYG editor. No more waiting for me. No more wondering how it will turn out.

"Yawn", you say? This is huge! It means you can now be a published author, here on RP, in just a few minutes. And it means that, with your cooperation, we will soon have the largest, most comprehensive set of retouching and restoration tutorials anywhere!

Go check it out and see. Just click on Tutorials on the navbar and you're there.

Was it worth the wait? You betcha!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2003, 12:48 AM
Janitor

Well, the "big secret project" was a bomb (and not in the good way). We have a grand total of one new tutorial submitted (not counting mine, since they essentially defeat the purpose). The last big project, the Reviews Database, isn't doing much better, with only a handful of reviews added since my last update.

It seems that everyone is enthused about new site features as long as someone else does the work.

Have I guilt-tripped you into submitting, yet? Good
We need your tutorials, however modest, and product reviews. Soon. Please.

On the plus side, we have several new Challenges of all types. They're still up and waiting for you. We've also had 3 games of Art Tag. Plus about 1000 new registered members.

Oh, and I'm almost out of Challenge material, especially Retouching Challenges, so send me thumbnails of stuff you think might make good Challenges.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2004, 01:18 PM
Janitor

Consider this fair warning:

Things are going to break around here. I'm going to upgrade almost all the software, and there are bound to be a zillion problems. But we'll also get a zillion new features.

I'm actually stalling, since it's going to be very labor intensive, and I haven't decided whether to start right away or wait a week or so. But, if you show up one day and it looks like we've been invaded by Martians or something, you'll know it's actually progress.

The primary upgrade will be to the forums, and it will be mind-blowing. Nothing will be the same as it is now. And, due to everything else on the site working off the forums, I'll have to upgrade them as well. In the transition period, some stuff will not work, other stuff will appear generic (with software author's logo instead of ours), and some stuff will have to be temporarily deleted (just temporary, I promise).

And, of course, some stuff just will refuse to work. So be patient, it will all be worth it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2004, 03:46 PM
Janitor

I guess there's enough new stuff to warrant an update.
  • New version of forum software
  • Challenges and Gallery now separated
  • Archives now use same software as Challenges and Gallery, allowing direct uploads
  • Challenge submissions now have their own upload area (oddly, it's in the Archives area)
  • Forums navbar will slowly (very slowly) be replacing the flyout navbar throughout the site

The forums have a ton of new features, many of which I haven't even turned on yet. I figured I'd dole them out slowly, rather than overwhelm everyone at once.

I predicted (promised?) some stuff would break:
  • Tutorial publishing and editing is temporarily disabled
  • Review posting is temporarily disabled
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > What's New