RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > What's New
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

What's New New additions to the website and forums (recommended you subscribe to receive e-mail notification)

Updates

Old 03-25-2004, 10:17 PM
Janitor

It's been awhile, and I have a little news, so here goes:

The Reviews section is all repaired, and you can post reviews to your hearts content now (and suggest items for others to review).

The tutorials section is as fixed as its gonna get (the publishing software requires you to be using Internet Explorer or any Gecko-based brower such as Firefox, Safari will not work).

Lots of new Challenges posted since last time, and a lot of new friends joining to participate, so go over and give them your opinions.

We've added two moderators, Leah and Flora. Offer them your sympathies, and maybe a hug.

OK, here's the real news (ok, that was all news, but here's what got me motivated enough to post this): in about 45 minutes the site should go down for anywhere from 5 minutes to several hours as they move us over to a new semi-dedicated server. This means we won't be sharing the server with quite as many neighbors, but nothing should change as far as day to day operations go (so they say).

So, if you're reading this, it's probably either underway or has already happened
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2004, 07:47 AM
Janitor

I'm considering a new feature aimed at those who make (or hope to make) money via retouching and restoring. Please read this description and leave your feedback.

Critiques have been dropping off over in the Challenges area, even though actual participation is way up. Please visit there regularly and show your support by telling them what you think of their efforts.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2004, 11:12 AM
Janitor

A resounding yawn for my new revenue-generation idea means we'll need some donations in the next month to pay the server and licensing bills. A little over $200 has already been donated (thanks for that!), which means we'll need at least another $300. Click here to help.

Lots of new Challenges, and lots of new Challenge submissions to enjoy and give feedback on (so please go tell them what you think of their work).

I'm completely out of Retouching Challenge material, so email me a thumbnail if you have potential submissions (interesting images that need color correction or studio portraits that could use a little retouching help).

A new round of Art Tag is starting up, but I honestly don't think very many people know it exists. Please go check it out, T Paul puts a lot of work into it and it's a great project. Maybe play one round to see what it's like!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-02-2004, 03:02 PM
Janitor

Plenty of new Challenges, and a LOT of new Challengers. Make sure you give them your feedback.

We've gotten a few donations since my last update, but we're still considerably short of the necessary fundage. And that's just to keep the lights on, and doesn't include improvements.

A new round of Art Tag starts Friday, so don't miss that.

I started a new forum for Official Vendor Support. If you work for a manufacturer, publisher, developer, or if you're an author or developer yourself, please check it out. Or if you know of a company that could use a support forum, let them know.

Please check if your email address here is current, you have no idea how many bounces I get in my mailbox every day. Every thread subscription with a bad email address sends me an email everytime someone posts to that thread.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-28-2004, 03:50 PM
Janitor

I am completely out of challenge material. I have one Restoration challenge lined up, but after that I'm dry. Please email thumbnails to me.

The 4 most common reasons I don't use most photos that are submitted:

I try to encourage a wide range of techniques to be used, so even if it's a marvelous photo I won't use it if we've already beaten a particular technique to death in other Challenges

or

It's definitely a challenging photo, but even if perfectly restored/retouched/manipulated it's not particularly interesting

or

The image is so far gone the only solution is to paint in a new image (or conversely, it barely needs any work at all)

or

There are obvious copyright/permission issues
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-13-2005, 02:22 PM
Janitor

I still need retouching challenge images (color shifts, unflattering color studio portraits, etc.). I'm fine on old/damaged photos, but desperate for the preceding.

New RP feature:
RetouchPRO Resources
Where you can upload and download actions, brush sets, etc. for all the various programs. It's still in beta, but works if you're patient. Feel free to suggest categories.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2005, 06:34 PM
Janitor

Several new tutorials. I need studio portraits for Challenges. The usual.

What is unusual is that we now have a RetouchPRO Contest. That's right, a real contest, with real rules, a real winner, and a real prize. And while we'll have more contests in the future, the only way we'll have more prizes is if lots of people enter this time, so tell everyone you know to enter. And be sure to click on the sponsor link lots of times
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-26-2005, 05:50 PM
Janitor

The March contest is a great success! Voting is going on right now (you can't vote if you didn't enter, but you can do like I did and write your votes down on a post-it and compare to the official winner).

Another contest will start on April 1, with another great prize for the winner. Don't be shy about inviting other forums and email lists to join in!

Perhaps you've noticed a lack of new Challenges. I plead poverty (of good source material). Email me thumbnails, particularly of bad color problems and particularly particularly of color studio portraits.

Speaking of poverty, donations have virtually disappeared, running at about 10% of overhead.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-25-2005, 03:46 PM
Janitor

It's been awhile since I posted anything here, though plenty of stuff has been happening all along (just nothing totally "new").

We do have a new Contest starting up in a few days. These have gotten some terrific entries, and you should really check them out over in the Studio forum. They're all winners! And a special thanks to T Paul for all her effort at running the contests.

Plus I just posted 2 new Challenges. And, of course, I'm still looking for good retouching material for future contests. (Don't forget you can still work on even the oldest Challenges)

A distant warning: some time in the next month or so I'll be upgrading to the new version of this forum software. It offers a lot of great new features, but of course it also means stuff will break, the site might go down awhile during the transition, etc. So don't panic when it happens.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2005, 11:23 PM
Janitor

I've changed the method of posting site updates, so nav up one level to see the current update.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > What's New