RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Affordable advertising

Old 11-14-2001, 08:23 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Affordable advertising

The thread on press releases was the basis for this thread. Since it seems that restoration businesses have little expendable capital, what are some ways you can think of to do some advertising or other ways of promoting your business either free of charge or at least have good potential to give good bang for your buck? Simply thinking about it will spawn some good ideas. This could turn out to be a valuable thread for a lot of people in any business.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-14-2001, 10:06 PM

There was the way I mentioned in the other thread about the woman who attached her card and a coupon to her Halloween candy treats. I thought that was pretty inventive.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-15-2001, 02:12 PM

I'm having a decal made up for the back window of my car. hopefully some people behind me in traffic can be directed to my website.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-15-2001, 02:56 PM

It can't hurt and it's free mobile advertising. Just make sure the letters are big enough that you don't have tailgaiters trying to get close enough to read it.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-15-2001, 03:33 PM

Make a restoration for a charity or other good cause. Cost is very reasonable, and it can get your name out.

Just an idea about affordable window stickers -- what about in large letters "If you're close enough to read this-" then in smaller letters (because that'll make them curious) "you probably have a photo that needs restoration" Call (name of company & phone) or visit www.younameit.com.

Come on people, there *must* be other thinkers out there. There are thousands of ways!

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2001, 04:08 PM

Another way of advertising on the net is banner exchange.I've resisted putting a whole lot of advertisemets on my web site because I didn't want potential customers to be distracted by advertisements for other products. But I'm beginning to wonder if banner exchange programs might not be so bad they might infact help draw customers to the site. Has anybody got any expreience with this sort of advertising?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2001, 05:44 PM

Sandra,

Since I don't have a website, I'm not familiar with banner exchange. The name suggests that you will display a banner on your site for someone else in exchange for yours to be displayed on their site? If this is true, I guess you can't beat the cost, but I hate banners. Not that I don't think they will work, it's just that they irritate me when I'm trying to do something else.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2001, 05:55 PM

I have to agree with Ed on the banners - I hate them. I've gotten really good at completely tuning them out. If you were to ask me what banners were up on a page that I had just closed, I wouldn't be able to tell you - and I never click on one. However, it seems that the must work or no one would be using them.

One idea that I have is to leave brochures in places such as scrapbook stores, photography studios that don't offer the service - and I still like the idea of doing something with photos of pets (although not strictly restoration) so pet stores and vetinary offices.

I also like to donate my services to charity fundraisers, e.g. silent auctions, or gift certificates in event handouts. Those are my ideas so far, I'd love to hear others!

Jeanie
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-16-2001, 06:07 PM

I don't know if this is done in other parts of the country, but in our local Little League, they have an annual auction as a fundraiser. To donate a restoration for a high bidder would be a good plug for business even though the parents are probably not in the age range for best potential customers. I'm sure that other locales have different fund raisers for good causes that might also be a good place to donate a restoration. Jeanie mentioned photos of pets. Why not place some brochures at the pet cemetery? If people are that attached to their pet, it could be a good investment of a little time and a few brochures.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2001, 04:00 PM

I've had me doubts about the banners too, I don't like the thought of my site being cluttered with advertisements. Thanks for your thought on it, it's reinforced my feelings.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs