Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Newbie w/ portfolio question..and what's FTP?

Old 03-30-2005, 12:12 AM
Newbie w/ portfolio question..and what's FTP?

I'm brand new to this board and had a couple of questions to ask. I mostly enjoy photographing children and want to start putting my portflio together. I have a couple of children in mind that I'd like to photograph, what should my approach be? What are the legal issues I need to consider? Do I need to have the parents sign some kind of consent form in order to display the pictures in my portfilio? How does it work w/ models when you're just starting out? This would be freebie stuff initially. It's been 2 years since I've been in school(had a baby) and I don't remember this information. Is there a good book out there someone can recommend related to the business aspect of this field?

Also, what is FTP? I've heard it mentioned on a couple of the previous posts. I have someone in another state that wants me to restore an old photo for them and I'm wondering how I will get their precious photo into my computer??? I'm really nervous about them mailing it to me. What other options are there?

Thanks in advance

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-30-2005, 12:35 AM
You should get a minor model release signed by their parent.

As for FTP, here's a nice little FAQ on it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-30-2005, 07:20 AM
I sure hope you ask the parents, i would hate for someone to take pictures of my kids without asking permission, do you see what i mean?

Only have to look at the M.J. courtcase to know the answer to that one.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-30-2005, 10:56 AM
Of course I would ask their permission...Even though I know these people, I'm not so sure their verbal consent would be enough. I'm not asking them for any money, but in return I want to be able to display the pictures in my portfolio if I choose to do so.

Thanks Doug for the form link. Whew, the terminology seems so formal I'd be tempted to simplify it somewhat. But, I'm sure it covers all the bases. I guess I need to start adopting a more business-like attitude even w/ friends.

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs