Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Scanning estimate help!

Old 04-25-2005, 11:54 AM

Hard to believe this kind of job would be bid overseas.

No way in *(&)$ would I send the only copies of my genealogical photos to some shop thousands of miles away. I wouldn't do that even if the shop were still in the US. In fact it is one of the reasons I bought a scanner and a copy of Photoshop six years ago and spent a *lot* of time learning how to use them.

I say bid your regular rate and watch them go away...and think about it...and then come back.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2005, 12:10 PM
Thanks for the input everyone!

Kaulike apparently this gent did exactly that...went out and bought himself a scanner, and Photoshop thinking he would do it himself. In very short order he found out what was involved and started looking for someone to do it for him.

After much consideration, I gave him what I consider a fair bid, my regular rate with a bit off for volume. I also told him this estimate doesn't include restoration beyond what my scanner will do. The restoration charge would have to be decided on a case by case basis depending on the photo. I haven't heard back from him, if I do I'll share the reply.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2005, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by Elleth
Thanks for the input everyone!

Kaulike apparently this gent did exactly that...went out and bought himself a scanner, and Photoshop thinking he would do it himself. In very short order he found out what was involved and started looking for someone to do it for him.
One would think that if he did that, he would not question a resonable bid too much! But then again he now knows how much work there is to it and he now is trying to find out how low a wage you will work for.

I too am looking foreward to his reply!

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2005, 11:34 AM
I agree with a few of the posts above, the problem is with your client's perception of cost. As said, if it were a small job with a couple of scans involved then the client would probably have no problem or hesitation.

I think you could change the clients perception by presenting different packages involving different prices.

For example, quote your client a price based upon every 10 photos instead of each individual photo. Besides putting costs in perspective for your client you will also open the possibility of doing the work piecemeal; maybe the client will decide on getting a certain amount scanned each month or however according to affordability.

Another way to structure your package offers is to quote prices based upon different bundles of services and products. For example, the 'Deluxe Family Memories' package could include nice frames for a percentage of the prints, offer to mail copies of prints to family members, CD's, slide-show software, etc . . , all for 'Only $80.00' per 15 photos! Then the next package could be something like your 'Digitize It Now!' offer whereby your offer a basic scan and burn to CD for 'Only $60.00' per 15 photos.

The object is to correct the client's perception of the cost/value you offer by way of contrasting possibilities and to help reduce the percieved high cost of your offering by breaking in down into chunks that the client can handle economically.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2005, 08:21 AM
First, I would tell him if he really wanted to save some money, to buy a scanner himself and scan all the pictures in himself. Then I would happily spend a half hour showing him how to do minor retouches himself. Then I would offer to do any major retouching for him at my regular fee (offer a bulk rate for quantity). All the while telling him he can call me anytime for advice.

Probably around the 6th image, he'd be calling me to take over. If not, I at least gave him good customer service.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2005, 10:20 AM
Lowballers don't stay in business long, but while they're around they sure can wreak havoc on legitimate companies.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs