RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Scanning estimate help!

Old 04-22-2005, 01:34 PM

Scanning estimate help!

I was just asked by a client to scan and do minor repair on his family photo archive which consists of approximately 1000 photos. He has a bid from a person in Manila who said he'd scan in all the photos to a separate JPG and then send back on a CD ROM. He would do minor enhancements to the photo. The quote was $400.00 +shipping both ways. The client does not want to send his photos out of the country, but he wants me to give him a comparable price.

There is no way I can do it for that price, my question is what should my proposal be?

I've never taken on a scanning job this big, but my estimate is between $1000 & $1500 depending on the restoration needed. I have an Epson 4870 scanner with digital ice, so I'm confident that some of the "restoration" will be taken care of in the scanning process.

Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks...
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-22-2005, 01:43 PM
Janitor

Do you really want to equate your services to 3rd-world labor?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-22-2005, 01:46 PM

No I dont!
thats why I'm asking for some constructive input.
How much would you charge for this service?
I would like to give the client a reasonable quote of what he would expect to pay if he kept his work here.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-22-2005, 05:12 PM

Even charging 10 times the offer from Manilla would only equate to $4.00 an image, far below what many labs here in the U.S.charge to scan. The lab I worked for charged $6.00 a scan and we were considered "cheap", next to many other labs. Doug is right...do you really want to be paid the rates of a third world country?
Joann
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-22-2005, 05:30 PM

Thanks for your input.

In no way do I equate myself with third world labor, I'm sorry if I gave anyone that impression.

I must admit I was surprised, and a little put off by Doug's curt reply.

I honestly don't know what the average charge for this kind of bulk service is.
I know that $400 is ridiculously low, and I just threw my estimate out there as a starting point, and the only thing he would get for that is scanning, no restoration.

I suppose what I'm really looking for is someone who has been doing this kind of work professionally to give me an estimate of the cost if they were going to bid on the job.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-22-2005, 06:30 PM

Okay, looks like $6000 was a "resonably cheap" price.

When handing him this quote ask him if his work were to be sent over seas would he be willing to do it for less than 10% of what he makes now.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-22-2005, 08:13 PM

We had someone come into our shop and propose doing our scanning and "minor retouching" for an absurdly low price. Supposedly freeing up our higher paid employee's to do the more elaborate and intricate work. We decided to test it out, and even though they were using good equipment, the work was deplorable. Had we gone ahead and done this we would have wasted lots of hours and had to also redo the work.
I think that the question of quality is a better pursuit than talking to him about price. I am sure you have verifiable examples of your work. Ask him if he has seen the same from the guy im Manila.

Good Luck

Chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-22-2005, 10:27 PM

Hi Elleth,
Please believe me when I say that I think your question was truly legitimate and I hope I didn't make you think that your service was third world rate. There just seems to be far too many places that think our type of work should be done at rediculously low rates. Good luck and hold firm!
Joann
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2005, 11:16 AM

If someone brought me something like that, I (assuming all the orginals would fit on a scanner) would ask something like $5.00 per scan, then an hourly charge ($75.00) to do the "minor repair" work.

The customers problem is the amount of orginals. If he had 2 or 3 orginals and you said $5.00 per scan and maybe $75 to fix them up, there would not be near the problem there is when you start with a 1000 orginals and multiply accordingly.

If the customer is shopping totaly on cost, then there is not much you can do. There is always someone that will do the job cheaper. You can ask if he wants cheap or if he wants quaility, one or the other, you cannot have both. Don't be surprized when he picks cheap

Mike
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-23-2005, 05:38 PM

Give him your qoute, if he refuses, than tell him "good luck with sending them overseas"

People can't demean themselves to the outsourced prices of 3rd world countries, tell him what he would be saving in money, he would lose with the comfort of knowing where his images will be.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs