RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

This is going to sound harsh

Old 04-29-2005, 01:33 PM

Lightbulb This is going to sound harsh

............easiest troll ever.

Last edited by Ant; 05-03-2005 at 01:31 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2005, 01:42 PM
Janitor

And while you're at it, don't play piano unless you've mastered it in private, don't email anyone unless you're a post-graduate in literature, and please, please, never cook for anyone unless you've apprenticed in a 4-star restaurant
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2005, 01:46 PM

Enjoy American Idol.

Last edited by Ant; 05-03-2005 at 01:31 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2005, 01:57 PM
Janitor

"Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, Or what's a Heaven for?" - Robert Browning

"If we wait till we're ready, we'll never get started." - Eleanor Roosevelt
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2005, 03:01 PM

Why do you rant, Ant?

What you say is true. There are a lot of people out there with minimal skills that call themselves retouchers. So?? What's your concern? Some people will pay a small amount for a so so retouch job. Some people want and can afford the best, so they call you. Some people are great salesmen, some are not. Some are great doctors, some are not. Some are great retouchers, some are not.

Some retouch just for the enjoyment of learning like myself, others are trying to find a way to survive in a tough world. Don't you think both can coexist?

By the way, I do like many of your images.

Cheers
Dave
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2005, 03:26 PM

Say that again!

02-24-2003, 06:14 PM
Hello everyone, newbie here with a question.
Anyone know of an online directory of digital retouching companies?
before finding my way to the big apple.
Polite when he got to the big Apple eh ?
02-25-2003, 12:45 PM
I would also consider retouching and restoration for a consumer/retail market to be lower to mid-end type of work.
gone over a year... we're still here.. I suppose you don't care for poetry either!
3-26-2004, 08:54 PM
Forgive me for being an ass, but photo restoration is low brow retouching. So is this board. Nothing to see here, moving along. Flame away, but I won't be reading it.
How Long has this asset been lurking ?
Today, 01:48 PM
The problem with most people who call themselves retouchers is that they haven't a clue what good retouching is or have an overabundance of poor taste.
I'm not, nor do I wish to be this busy
because you are not good.....not even close.
A retoucher in NYC averages 70-120k a year.
Yup! what's the rent there ?

Y'all come back now!
When you ain't busy.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2005, 03:52 PM

You beat me to it Ron

Did somebody put something in the water or something?

I'm on a bunch of forums for different things and there are folks in all walks of life taking time from their busy schedules to bash each others efforts. It's not just graphic artists, it's web designers, jewelery artists, quilters, writers, you name it.

In this case the difference between me and those that criticize me is that I already know I'm not very good at it.

Take care, Margaret
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2005, 05:18 PM

I dunno!

The fellow is easy enough to figure... his own words point to a smartass who had high expectations a few years ago and is lashing out as he realizes his own mediocracy.

Perhaps he fears that as a washout he might not be accepted here so fires a salvo off at us, hoping we'll attack his rudeness and not look towards his faults.

His Website wouldn't work for me.. might be my browser.. if not, it's just another brick in the wall.

poor sole... might have found solace here!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2005, 07:56 PM

The seasoned pro gives back

If everyone shared the attitude that harsh critique is the only valid option and never giving back to the starters in the profession you've chosen as a path for your life is somehow a contribution to the profession, progress would halt.

I love the game I'm in and started in it with the aid of others who knew a hell of a lot more than I did. Now it's my turn to give something back and I find it regrettable that some feel the only way to survive in business is to get in and slam the door behind them.

Jim Conway
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-29-2005, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant
I'm an arrogant ass
I think there is a common belief that one aspect of being arrogant, is actually believing ones skills are greater than the rest. A legitimate level of arrogance is even forgivable in the highly talented. I haven't seen any of your work though, so don't know if that is a reasonable belief. As you haven't submitted to any contests, restorations or challenges as far as I know there is no reason to think that your talent is greater than (or equal to) many other trully helpful talented contributors to this forum. If you wished to even be taken seriously for a second you need to open yourself up to the same criticism. People can delude themselves about their own talent - very true - are you sure you are not guilty of the same?

Having had an encounter with another of your attitude here in the last week, I can only assume, that you, like them, may be speaking out of spite due to not having your own work recognised as competent, by those you feel are your inferiors.

As far as I can tell having only been here for 4 weeks, and a total photoshop newbie myself, this forum is a mix of expert, proficient, improving amateur, and slightly baffled. That's just fine with me, I didn't come here to be sneered at from 'on high'. I came to learn.

If there are particular contributions you that you feel are not 'worthy', why not reply to them, in a somewhat constructive way, showing how you think it could be done better. Rather than feeling it necessary to critisise everyone in a blanket fashion, totally unconstructively?

Last edited by Caitlin; 04-29-2005 at 10:08 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs