Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Regular job and photo restoration as a side business

Old 06-09-2005, 01:12 PM
Regular job and photo restoration as a side business

I seem to read a lot of threads here about photo restoration business not making enough $$$.

Is it possible then, to just hold a regular 8-hour job and still run a photo restoration business on the sides?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2005, 03:55 PM
That's how I do it. Plus I offer a lot of other freelance services, including web design, 3D animation, photo restoration, etc. You name it, I've probably done it.

The nice thing about doing it this way is that you don't have to rely on it to make a living. Any freelance work you do is extra income. I don't have to worry about heavily marketing anything. Plus, this way gives you the power to pick and choose what projects you take on. If things slow down, you don't have to worry where your next meal is coming from.

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2005, 07:08 AM
I do both as well.
I'm an art director with a publishing company by day and I retouch photos on my off time. The only problem I sometimes run into is biting off more than I can chew. I love doing the retouch work, but the business side of things sometimes begin to drag. Invoicing, taxes, etc. I also find it difficult when I have slow pays. I just don't have the energy to go after people and sometimes it is months before I get paid for a job.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2005, 07:41 AM
I used to free lance on the side as well. Business a little too thin for a steady income and I didn't feel like going on the internet for a bigger client base.

Word of mouth and under the table. I never really did charge, but let the client set the amount of payment, which was always more than enough for the job. Help someone print Christmas cards and get $20 for 15 minutes of work. Format a harddrive, put a fresh OS on it, and get a new exhaust on our car in trade. Wax some HTML/CSS and get some server space. Or maybe a good meal, a few beers, and some pleasant conversation.

Man, I might have to start free lancing again.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2005, 10:22 AM
Man, I hope so. I was making a freelance living about 10 years ago. Now I have a part time job that gives me benefits while I continue to still freelance. I plan to go back into freelancing fulltime again in September when my youngest son goes to school full days. I don't think though that I could do it just with retouching though. So I also offer web design, photography and illustration work. I wish the retouching could bring in more money though. I'm finding it hard to charge as much as I used to.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2005, 10:38 AM
The full-time job can actually give you the side-business, as personal networking is the single best way to find clients. Put examples of your work on your desk, put flyers on the bulletin-board, etc.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2005, 08:18 AM
That's a great idea, Doug. Provided, that the company politics allows it.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs