RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

please help me to write a professional response.

Old 07-26-2005, 11:31 AM

Post please help me to write a professional response.

Hello… im in extreme need of all of you here.
The thing is I answer the classified add. Person, a fashion photographer, to be precise, was looking for a retoucher.(Her ad: “I am in need of a professional retoucher to collaborate with on the constant basis. I am looking for a professional touch, magazine quality finish for my images. Natural but flawless, colorful but tasteful look.”
So, I got a “sample image” to do, in order to help her decide if im the right person. (Example before and after attached.)
I assume that she liked it, because next day I got email with request for price quote. Which I did ($35.00 /per piece ) oh I should mention I as well as she from new york. Anyway. next email I got… im just going to copy/paste it…
-Thank you very much ….
If we would to talk quantity- what would be your best price?

Then I wrote:
-in order to give you fare price, please let me know how many pictures needs to be done in what time frame. and if any of those need major correction.

and then she sends this….!!!!!

All my images would need the same retouching- meaning
1) brightness/contrast/curves adjustment
2) perfecting the skin(healing/airbrushing)
3) adjusting the color for the image to look vivid(not dull) color enhancement.
4) sharpness

Basically the same type of job yoyu've done on that one.
Images are going to be enlarged to 8x12"- so it should be a magazine quality.
The amount i would supply would be at least 10 images minimum each time.
Do you think a rate 4$ a piece would be ok for you?

When I got her last email I was in shock, still am. What people are thinking?!!! $4.00?!!!
So im begging you, please help me write a response to her, but in a professional way.
Thank you in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sample.jpg (30.4 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg sample_retouched.jpg (29.9 KB, 48 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2005, 04:12 PM

I would quote her back a standard charge. If you spend 1/2 hour on a photo like your example and normally charge $60/hr, you could mention that and put in a 10% discount for regular work. Any "real" photographer would know that $4/image is completely ridiculous. Be diplomatic, but be prepared to walk.

If she squawks, you could ask her if she would consider producing glossy 8x10s for $4/image. If the answer is yes, you DEFINITELY don't want to join up!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2005, 04:34 PM

kaulike thank you for great advice. .... off to write a letter. i'll let you know how it goes.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2005, 04:38 PM

Cat,

some time ago I dropped the statement that speed is everything in this business and if you need a full hour to do this work it'll simply cost too much.

I usually charge AROUND 30 thru 50 Euros per hour, heavily depending on the work to be done. Ten pictures of the same model means a higher discount since after the second pic I know the blemishes by heart and can just tip in the blue in a jiffy I consider myself to be a pretty fast retoucher and can do a basic correction (BASIC!) in less than four minutes meaning $4 charge would be around ok.

But with all my respect to the photographer, if she paid me $4 and dared to offer this picture to a magazine they'd laugh right into her face! It's impossible to do a high-quality 300dpi image in such a time-frame, impossible.

Feel free to quote this: "If you don't want to pay more than $4 per picture, please be aware it'll only be worth $4."

Very simple
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2005, 04:43 PM

Run as fast as you can....I got the same stuff from her...did the work, took me 20 minutes...came back to her with $20 per image, and she sent me "thanks for showing me your work" lol...

I think she reads you as a newbie in all of this...$4 an image is horrendous...and I laugh at the idea that anyone would work for that little on something that takes as long as it does.

Don't even dignify any of that with a response...just let it go.

EDIT: And further...she sent a lower quality sample to work on than would be the work you would normally get from her. Therefore, it would suck up more time than the smalll jpeg she sent you
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2005, 04:55 PM

Don't run, just don't move LOL

Attached my 10 minute doing on this, absolutely ridiculous to publish even it's just so tiny...

But as I was about it, when I save for web in Photoshop, why does it always blur away the color?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sample.jpg (62.2 KB, 27 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2005, 05:04 PM

kaulike
Photo678
PatrickB

THank you very much. if you dont mind i'll quote some things from your replys
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2005, 05:34 PM

I hope you watermarked your 'after'. Sounds suspiciously like someone trying to get their portfolio done for free, if they have already done this to several members here!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-26-2005, 07:20 PM

always watermarked ;-)...and she gave me the same image
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs