Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Approaching studios?

Old 07-27-2005, 01:13 PM
Approaching studios?

I was thinking, that in my area, the best way I could go about finding retouching work would be to actually approach some already pretty established photography studios. Maybe offer to work on one or two pics for free to show them what I can do, beg, plead - whatever it takes - lol. Any opinions on HOW I should go about trying to get some work locally?

Thanks, in advance, for any advice.

Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2005, 04:31 PM
Somewhere here at RetouchPro, I detailed how I went about approaching a local shop. I don't have the desire to write it all again, but I'm sure a search would find it for you.
Bring a portfolio of your most outstanding work. Better yet, have a second portfolio of your work that you can leave with the shop.
Have pricing established, and a price sheet.
Offer plan A and plan B, as to how and who will determine what level of damage a particular image is rated.
Also have an idea about how money will change hands and payment methods.
Have turn-a-round time established.
Have the method of pick-up and delivery established.
Know your return policy.
Most prepared to tell the shop owner "what's in it for him" (why he should accept your offer).
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2005, 04:40 PM
I do not know where in MS you are, but I do know a few fellow studio owners in that state and I would advise that you put together a few examples and then call for a appointment.

Most of the folks I know, if they are looking for a retoucher, are looking for someone who can basicaly do zits, blend in tan lines, stray hairs, color/contrast and other what I would call "light" work like that. And don't forget that all of us studio owners are going to want that work back before we give it to you

But do be aware that a good many of us do this kind of stuff in house, and many of us would rather have an employee (even a part time one) do this rather than send stuff out.

Good luck!

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs