Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Going Solo...

Old 09-29-2005, 02:24 PM
Going Solo...

Hey Gang...

During the last week or so, I've been contacted by many of you asking about high-end retouching, the market place and going out and getting clients. It sparked some interest and I'd like to open up the topic for conversation.

There are many of you in my area(NYC) and in many other metropolitan cities where high-end fashion, beauty and advertising work is done. Some of you have full time positions at studios and some of you work freelance. Others simply have their own studios and clients that work exclusively with these retouchers. Whatever the case, I think it might be a nice change of pace to discuss how to go about getting what you want. If you're a freelancer looking for more opportunities or a full time staff retoucher looking to break out on their own, or what have you.... You all had to start somewhere and make that leap.

Feel free to contribute any advice or even a story about how you got to where you are. I'm sure there are some very talented people out there who could use the info to help their careers... Hell, I'm always open to learning things myself...

anyone interested?

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2005, 09:53 PM

I am based in Hampshire one hour south of London. I am currently doing some work for a New York based fashion photographer. I receive the high res files via FTP. It really is amazing how you can work from anywhere.. perhaps a remote beach hut in Thailand with my laptop and a pina colada! Sure Thing!

My "day job" entails Artworking DVD sleeves, creating Spot Whites, Speical Colours and so on...

My ambition is to be retouching Fashion and Beauty images full time.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2005, 06:23 AM
Anyone feel free to stop by my studio in NYC anytime. Always happy to talk to people pursuing a beauty and Fashion retouching career.

Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2005, 09:23 AM
Cricket, I want to take you up on that invitation. I have been retouching for 14 years (mostly automotive), but I've not done much fashion work. How does one break into that business? I'm in Northern NJ.

Last edited by emarts; 10-03-2005 at 09:24 AM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs