RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

When a customer just doesn't understand

Old 09-30-2005, 09:51 AM

Unhappy When a customer just doesn't understand

Am I wrong doing this? I have a gentleman that sent me a photo 150 dpi and it was nothing but giant pixels. I emailed him and asked if he could send a higher resolution and he said he would take it to somewhere to have it done. Next thing he does is send me one at 200 dpi which I had requested 600 as a happy medium. So I email him back thanking him for the new scan, however, it still shows up a bunch of squares. I mean you can't zoom in at all and you can't really make out any of the faces. I told him he could try to rescan again and even told him that I would be willing to do it if he mailed (which I understand some people are iffy about) but I wanted to atleast provide the option.

Plus, I require atleast half of the payment to begin work. Otherwise, I'd be doing all that work and then have them say they dont like it and with four kids, my time is way too valuable. He wants me to begin work and then tell him how to pay. So I tell him how he can make a payment and I'll start the work once it goes through. I don't hear back from him in quite some time. As a courtesy I email him to make sure he didn't try to contact me or mail me a photo. He says this...

"This is the best I can send. You may begin the work."

Even though he is in the USA I think maybe he doesn't speak English well. He just doesn't seem to comprehend my emails. I don't want to explain it too detailed to where I frustrate him or make him feel like I'm talking to him like a child. My husband says send him elsewhere but I don't believe in that. I'm thankful when someone sees my work and chooses my help. I really want to help him and not just for profit because I actually underestimated him. I have a big problem doing that. So, I emailed him back and said I would do the best I could do with the low quality. I asked once again how he would like to pay. I figure, I'll work on it a little but won't send a final until payment received.

Would you go through all this? Would you ask for a better scan regardless? Would you just tell him it can't be done and move on?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2005, 07:04 PM

Perhaps you could find out where he is taking it and contact them directly to get what you want.

Dave
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2005, 11:31 AM

this is why I hate doing business over the Internet. I like to deal with people face-to-face.

If you are not starting off with the quality you need, don't accept the job. You will only produce less than acceptable work. If he doesn't get it at this point, what makes you think he will understand that you are doing the best with what he has given you? whe you give back the work, and you are not happy with it, but it's the best you could do, he's not going to understand that. Instead, he'll be dissatisfied and will want his money back.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2005, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emarts
this is why I hate doing business over the Internet. I like to deal with people face-to-face.

If you are not starting off with the quality you need, don't accept the job. You will only produce less than acceptable work. If he doesn't get it at this point, what makes you think he will understand that you are doing the best with what he has given you? whe you give back the work, and you are not happy with it, but it's the best you could do, he's not going to understand that. Instead, he'll be dissatisfied and will want his money back.
I agree emarts, sometimes it is better to make peace and sometimes no end of explanation will hit its target. Very frustrating I know and yes definitely face to face is best always. However, you don't want to end up married to the customer (metaphorically speaking), so sometimes, much to our irritation, it is cheaper, and less emotionally straining, to divest ones self of the problem rather than keep it under continuity
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2005, 01:25 PM

Thanks... I think that would be in my best interest. Why let myself get so mentally drained on something like this, when I have other customers needing me? Hard to give 100% to everyone else when you have that gnawwing at your brain. I appreciate the advice. That's why I love it here.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs