RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Commercial vs Consumer

View Poll Results: Do you work with for the commercial sector or consumer sector?
I only work for commercial industries. 8 12.70%
I only work for people and families. 5 7.94%
I work for both, I'm not picky. 23 36.51%
It's a hobby, but I'd work commercial. 2 3.17%
It's a hobby, but I'd work for consumers. 8 12.70%
It's a hobby, but I'd work for anyone! 10 15.87%
It's a hobby, it'll stay that way. 7 11.11%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-30-2005, 11:35 PM

Commercial vs Consumer

One thing I've noticed about RetouchPro is that most here seem to be interested in the commercial sector versus the consumer sector, so I'm just kind of interested in knowing who is going which direction, and why?

Personally, I've always avoided the commercial sector and have no interest in dealing with big name photographers, ad agencies, magazines, etc. Being surrounded by so many "pros", I wonder if I lack ambition?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2005, 10:25 AM

I only work commercial. I like it. It has it's pros and cons but at least the pay is usually worth the cons.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2005, 10:42 AM

I work for a local studio that mostly does consumer stuff but they occasionally do some commercial stuff. A lot of the businesses here try to do their own stuff.

Vicki
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2005, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooB
One thing I've noticed about RetouchPro is that most here seem to be interested in the commercial sector versus the consumer sector, so I'm just kind of interested in knowing who is going which direction, and why?

Personally, I've always avoided the commercial sector and have no interest in dealing with big name photographers, ad agencies, magazines, etc. Being surrounded by so many "pros", I wonder if I lack ambition?
Well I think commercial is the easier option for many, it's a bit like going to a doctor, if he doesn't fix you, he still gets his fee - no emotional attachments either. I know if someone really can't afford something or is ill or is trying to achieve something as an act of friendship for another, I weaken at the knees and want to contribute too, as an act of friendship rather than that of a paid employed person. I would never change however, I am me and that is who I am, I acknowledge that the boxes of chocolates and bottles of wine give me much greater pleasure than the receiving of a fee Despite that, many of us DO have bills to pay and families to provide for. I don't accept goats and chickens but have traded for fresh milk from a real cow in the past - 5 litres a day

Last edited by Cassidy; 10-05-2005 at 11:02 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2006, 03:10 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
I'll take the chickens. No room for goats.

I just do it as a hobby, since I'm retired. I've done several restorations for friends and family, but never tried to make money doing it. Much of it is like a transition from the wet darkroom. The big difference is that it's much easier now, and less stinky.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2006, 03:39 PM

I work with both markets, we advertise locally and commerically. For our photo services we have focused on professional photographers and labs. We do advertising locally for old photo restoration.

The hard part of the "retail" side of the business is that usually work is a one time deal and not repeat business. Wholesale/Commerical work in ongoing.

One bonus for us is that we also offer advertising design, so when advertising locally we hope to catch the attention of business as well.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs