RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Do you use a Wacom Tablet?

View Poll Results: Do you use a Wacom Tablet?
Yes 138 79.77%
No 35 20.23%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-14-2005, 06:00 AM

I ticked No because I don't use a Wacom tablet. Wacom are not the only people who make graphics tablets, contrary to what many people may think I use a Trust tablet and don't know what I would do without it !! It was also a LOT cheaper than a Wacom !!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-16-2005, 04:52 PM

I use my Wacom tablet for certain jobs, but I don't like the effect of variable pen pressure (adjusting my brush size). I like to set that myself.

Ken
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-16-2005, 05:05 PM

I just got the Wacom Intuos 6x8 a few weeks ago. I would NEVER go back to using a mouse now.

I was trying to do some stuff on a mouse the other day to show somebody how to do something and I felt handicapped.

By far and away the biggest advantage is the variable brush size. Sure, I love having something that is like a pen in my hands but I really like not having to switch brush sizes all the time.

-Bryan
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-22-2005, 06:11 AM

I've tried using it several times but have found that it doesn't serve much use. At least for me. I am fine with using Photoshop's tools...
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-28-2005, 01:06 AM

While I use a Wacom 6x8, it's going back. Do NOT by a refurb model.

I was on Wacoms site one night, ordering nibs for my pen on my 4x5 tablet and saw refurbed Intous3's for $270. So I ordered one. Everything looked ok until I started using it. There is a dip in the center of the tablet, so when moving from left to right you will actually feel it and the mouse will wobble when using it. After contacting Wacom about it, the Customer Service rep said they would issue an RMA but it's quite possible that it's "within specifications." Huh? Noticable wave in the tablet would be IN spec? RIGHT. So I told them the hell with it and I just want a refund. NewEgg had NEW 6x8's for $15 more than I paid for the Refurb. Ugh.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2005, 02:28 PM

Hi, I've a 5x4 Genius tablet and it works for me. It has all the advantages as any Wacom, including a mouse. Try a Genius, it's great and it's not as expensive.

Silvia.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2005, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan L
I just got the Wacom Intuos 6x8 a few weeks ago. I would NEVER go back to using a mouse now.

I was trying to do some stuff on a mouse the other day to show somebody how to do something and I felt handicapped.

By far and away the biggest advantage is the variable brush size. Sure, I love having something that is like a pen in my hands but I really like not having to switch brush sizes all the time.

-Bryan
Do profesional techincal illustrations. Cannot do without the Wacom Intuos 3. As a "left hander" it is just what I needed. Cannot even consider doing grpahics without the pen! Airbrush is quesitonable.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2006, 11:00 PM

!

I could not work without my tablet. I have a large 12x12 Wacom. When I started retouching several years ago with a photo house, my boss MADE me use the tabet (which was very uncomfortable). But I am so glad he did. If I ever work for anyone else again, one stipulation before taking the job would be a tablet. One of the best features... PRESURE CONTROL! WACOM!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2006, 12:49 PM

Tablet

The stylus has been in my hand for so long, that even doing simple navigation tasks on the desktop are clumbsy with a mouse. So many features with a tablet, size and flow for instance or combinations of each, cant be done any other way but preasure sensitivity. I simply cant work with out my tablet.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2006, 08:54 AM

Glad I am not the only one who still uses a mouse most of the time. When Is started with PS many moons ago, I was able to persuade the company we bought all our equipment from (lots of it) to throw in a free Wacom. It was the lower model of the time but I had previously used a CAD system that used a pen on a huge tablet. So I jumped right in, learned PS and the tablet together. I swore by it. I moved companies and for a while my reliance on PS was minimal and I could not get a tablet ( and was not in a position to buy my own) I started using PS more at home than at work for a while and got used to the mouse, but the ball was annoying. Well another change of position and now I started using PS again at work, but still mouse. Well eventually mice lost their balls so to speak and that made mouse life so much easier, far less slip ups. When I was finally in a position to get a tablet I was really wanting one, but when I got it I was SO used to the mouse that it felt really awkward, so now I have to force my self to use the tablet and will do so for some jobs but then other jobs I still find I am still far more accurate with the mouse. Maybe if I was in a position to try the Wacom Cintiq it would be different as it changes your way of working, you don't stare at the screen while trying to draw off to your side, you draw right there on the image.

But for now, budget and job wise, I use 80% mouse 20% pen. I use the pen at home and any job be it a pen type job or not at work I do with the mouse. Some people say there are things you do with a pen that cannot be done with a mouse, this is not true, t may take a few different approaches but all can be achieved.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs