Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Do you use a Wacom Tablet?

View Poll Results: Do you use a Wacom Tablet?
Yes 138 79.77%
No 35 20.23%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-10-2006, 04:47 AM
Yes I use Tablet.

I have been working with PS about 2 years now, mainly using it for restorations. For the first couple of months I was using a mouse, then switched to Intuos3 6X8. So I did not have a lot of previous experience/knowlege to transition from.
I use the pen for all of my computer work now, the mouse for the tablet is covered in dust and sits beside the monitor. Sometimes I come to my computer to work and see the mouse on the tablet and it looks real strange and I know my wife has been on my comp for something.
One or two times I have picked up the mouse at someone else's computer and it feels like I am using a rock to scratch a stick figure on the sidwalk.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-18-2006, 12:09 PM
Years ago, I started working on an Apple machine at a job that was new somewhere around 1995 I believe. It had Photoshop 3 and a large wacom tablet. I loved it. The wacoms they are expensive though, so about 2 years ago I bought an Aiptek 12x12 for myself because I get mad at my mouse often enough to warrant trying things another way. It wasn't bad and I did alot with it but recently my frustrations grew to new proportions. The AAA battery in the pen was just one of my gripes but I also found myself being continually frustrated (from the day it was brand new) by not being able to put it anywhere within 2 feet of my monitor or else suffer a jittery cursor. It's a good tablet considering the price - I think I just outgrew it. 2 weeks ago I finally broke down and got a wacom 9x12 Intuos3. All I can say is NICE! This one is USB (I recall looking at tablets once and being irritated that wacom was still using serial even though competitors were using USB) and doesn't have a seperate power supply/wall wart like the old one I'd used once did.

I do still use the mouse (my logitech not the wacom mouse) mainly and probably always will but there are times when I really need a pen. And being able to vary opacity, size and or flow on the fly as you paint/draw is just mandatory sometimes
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-20-2006, 08:42 AM
I'm using the Wacom Intous 9x12

I will never to back to using just a mouse.

Last edited by nokyai; 02-20-2006 at 08:55 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2006, 11:18 PM
Wacom intuos 3

Just placed an order for a Wacom tablet. Should arrive in a few days time. Looking forward to it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2006, 05:00 AM
YAY!!! You're gonna love it, Shelby!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2006, 07:03 AM
Talking Tablet

I use a trust model graphics tablet which works fine, going back to a mouse
would be like using a pen with my foot!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-22-2006, 12:10 PM
employer's perspective

at my studio we have 42" plasmas and wacom tablets on all the retouching stations. i believe in having the best equipment available in the shop to lure the hottest talent to work for us. also it impresses potential clients when they see the willingness to invest in technology.

that being said, i've employed/worked with lots of retouchers over the years. in my experience, the tablet does not do as accurate of a job at masking, outlining, etc. when people try and use the tablet to create soft masks over say, a sky, there are often holes where things are not painted at 100% opacity. a big no-no when dealing with high end agency stuff.

the mouse can do everything well. the tablet can do most things well. a lot of people feel the tablet is more "artistic" long as it's used for ONLY the artistic stuff then it's fine. people shouldn't use it for mechanical things. period.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2006, 11:13 PM
I even surf the web using my tablet. Hee.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-24-2006, 01:42 AM
Originally Posted by shellby
Just placed an order for a Wacom tablet. Should arrive in a few days time. Looking forward to it.
is this the one everyone would recommend? i heard from a company which sent them back as the pointer was jumping around, maybe a bug

i still work with an apple mighty mouse, which i enjoy very much. thinking of this, what if i had a wacom, i maybe would enjoy it even more? i tried it once in a studio. i had the problem of not knowing where the pointer is, when i remove the pen from the ground. thats why i left it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-24-2006, 05:07 AM
Absolutely--Wacom is aces! :-) Admittedly--I only tried another brand once, and over a decade ago--but I've been a happy Wacom user for so long now, that I don't see any reason why I'd try another brand. Why mess with success?!

I think that most people find the 6x8 size to be the most convenient combination of "small enough to be easy to manuever with a keyboard" and "large enough to be easy to use"--and if your budget stretches towards it, I'd go with their high end, Intuos 3, (more pressure sensitivity than their lower end, Graphire). I have a 12x12, and it's heavenly, but cumbersome, and a 9x12, which is a little more convenient of a size, but is probably larger than I need. (I WANT it that large--but I probably don't NEED it! ;-))

Give yourself a week, to get used to one--force yourself to use it in Photoshop for just one week...and I think you'll be a convert, too. The first week IS a little rough--getting used to it, I mean...but the Intuos line comes with lots of fun extra software, like Painter Classic (I think it's called Painter Essentials, now)--and I find it very relaxing to just pop over into that, when I need a break, and just doodle with all the fun paintbrushes (NOTHING like Photoshop--more like an artist's tools). That was very helpful to me when I was just learning to use my Wacom...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs