Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Do you use a Wacom Tablet?

View Poll Results: Do you use a Wacom Tablet?
Yes 138 79.77%
No 35 20.23%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-27-2006, 10:32 AM

I thought it was great back in '95 when I started using a Wacom tablet. (really just being able to do it on a computer at that point was great, as opposed to my old-school methods) Totally awesome. This is exactly how I feel about the Cintiq21. I can't think of going back to the old tablet down there on the desk. This is as nature intended it; working ON the subject directly.

BTW - For those of you who are traditional media artists, check out Alias SketchBook Pro. It's not Painter but it's very cool for drawing and sketching, especially on a Cintiq.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2006, 12:35 PM

I totally agree. I'm using one myself at work and can't imagine going back to a regular tablet, let alone a mouse. I find it speeds up nearly every aspect of computer use, let alone working with images.

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2006, 01:06 PM
Me too...

I believe it's probably got ergonomic advantages as well. My arm isn't in a fairly prone position anymore. It's up in the air and moving about in all directions.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2006, 02:55 PM
Cedwar--the things that a tablet really does better than a mouse are: a) pressure sensitivity and b) more natural interface.

You already know how to use a pen/pencil. You know without thinking about it, that when you want just a *little* bit of pencil on the paper, you press lightly, and when you press harder, you get more pencil. When you're using a tablet, it's like using a pencil--and your retouching becomes more intuitive. When you want just a wee bit of color on your retouched image--you press lightly...and when you want the color to be denser--you bear down more. It makes for faster retouching--since with a mouse, a click is a click. If you only want a LITTLE bit of color on your image--you have to change your brush opacity...and then do the same, when you want more. Some people have told me that they only use ONE BRUSH--with one opacity--after switching to a tablet--because they control the amount of each effect (opacity of the effect) via the pressure of the pen!

And again--when it comes to trying to outline's a WHOLE lot easier to outline and select, when using a pen. Try writing your name in cursive, with your mouse, in Photoshop. Not too impressive, is it?! Even if you have a great deal of control (and I do--I can draw with a mouse, if need be)--it's NOT the same as writing it with a pen. Enter the stylus! :-) When you write on a tablet--your signature really looks like you wrote it--it's smoother, nicer...and just feels more natural.

And of course, if you're clenching your hand over a mouse for 8 hours a day, clicking and clicking and clicking, as you retouch--you're just begging for carpal tunnel, sooner or later! While I'm not going to tell you a tablet is more ergonomically correct (you get just as tired and cramped, using a pen for 8 hours!), it doesn't do the same damage to your wrist as a mouse does. (And as someone who spent a year with both hands in braces, due to tendonitis--I REALLY take care of my wrists now!!) With a tablet, you don't have to click to release an effect--you just draw it right on to the image. It takes a bit to get used to it--about a week, I think, to get really comfortable--but it's heavenly, once you do! :-)

And don't throw away your mouse, either--there ARE times it works better, even in Photoshop, than a tablet...and I ONLY use my tablet in Photoshop or Painter--it's not practical for me to use it for everything...but a tablet really is a huge improvement in terms of speed and ease of use, in the long run.

Hope that helps! :-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2006, 09:25 PM
tablet PC?

Hello all,

This is my first post to the forumn since joining about 2 months ago. I love the site and will be posting some of my work in the near future. I truly enjoy the feedback that everyone gives so I thought I would bring this issue to you.

I am in the process of getting a new computer. I mainly do photography and work in photoshop and Painter IX. I would love to get a Wacom tablet, but I was wondering if there are any tablet PC's that would serve this same purpose. I really like the idea of being able to travel and edit at the same time.

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2006, 05:51 PM
I'd like to try one out some day but our son wants one sooo bad it's killing him (he's a junior photog).

Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2006, 02:36 PM
could you please advise me which tablet i could buy? what size would be enough? my desktop is not too big, so....i like the 16:10 size of the wacom A5. but its more expensive.

wacom is the best i can read....

whats the difference between intous and graphire? i dont get it. its only cheaper and wacom site itself i dont find a comparison, sorry.

i heard that some tablets have very slippery surface. i would like to have the lastest and most improved one for a reasonable pricing maybe.

i havent the faintest idea, as of some people told me wacom built some in 2005, and they sent it back to wacom, as they very pretty much useless, i dont know why. coordination porblems i guess.

i tried one pen, a wacom i think. what i liked was the sensitive pen, and the shortcut buttons, very fast working with the buttons, i use to press the keys 1-10 for blending. what i disliked was only, that i didnt know where i am in the screen, i kind of lost orientation very often.

do they have a program maybe, like money-back if you dont like the product, if i cant work with it?
i am living in germany.

Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2006, 03:18 PM

I use an intuos 6X8. After switching to the tablet I completely abandoned the mouse.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-19-2006, 03:27 PM
intous 3? or older
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-20-2006, 12:27 PM
I'm all mouse. Haven't tried a tablet, but the mouse works well for me.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs