RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Do Most Photographers......

Old 10-16-2005, 02:57 AM

Do Most Photographers......

Do most photographers do their own retouching or do they have a someone else (in their own department) do it?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2005, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfonzoFM
Do most photographers do their own retouching or do they have a someone else (in their own department) do it?
I have found it to be about 50/50 all of my clients are photographers that just simply either dont have time or knowledge to do their own retouching, yet most of the cold calls i have made have shown me that many are doing their own
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2005, 09:58 PM

If you are refering to portrait photographers, more and more are doing their own retouching for a couple of reasons, usually it can be controlled better and it is becoming the next step in the creative process.

Depending on the size of the studio, you may find that they have a person who does all of it, or the photographer themselves may do it.

Mike
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2005, 11:54 PM

From what I can tell, many of the big photographers who deal in large volumes of photos outsource-- and want it outsourced CHEAPLY.

Some want work done for as low as $1/photo, they will not pay much more than that, but they will always find someone to do it.

The most I would do for $1/photo is very basic airbrushing-- and then they better be offering at least a volume of 500 photos.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2005, 09:54 AM

I was refering to the type of portrait studio that has maybe 1 to 3 photographers, and is an independent operation. The vast majority of those that I know that meet this description would not be looking for anykind of retouching that meets the $1/image criteria. Their main marketing effort is to be known for the quaility of their images.

Roob, can you describe what you mean by "big photographers"? It sounds to me like you are describing the chains that do underclass kids stuff. There are a couple of them around here and they do look for cheap and are not too concerned about quaility. They do such a mass amount that if someone complians, they just refund and move on.

Mike
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2005, 01:09 AM

Well, by big photographers I mean the ones who make a really luxurious living from their photography-- and they deal in volume, hundreds of images per photoshoot, thousands of pictures for processing for publication and layouts for modelling websites.

Even though they make a fortune in photography, they can't afford to spend twice the fortune to have 100s of photos per shoot retouched at typical rates-- so they find retouchers willing to work for $1/photo, and I know there are those who do.

And I know there are good retouchers who work for those rates too.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2005, 08:22 AM

C'mon! A dollar per photo?! Even with volume, that's an impossible compensation. Unless all you are doing is running actions. But then the photographer can do that himself.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2005, 06:18 PM

D@^^N!! How do those retouch artists Make a living?

$1/photo? ok , i understnd they work w/ volume, but for $1 I think the only thing they do is probably levels/cuves adjustment and mabe a slight softening of skin, and maybe vignettes.
Mike>>>>Its aslo likely that these 'luxurious' photographers take such good pictures that they dont need a whole lotta adjustments. Maybe??!!?!?!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2005, 06:41 PM

"really luxurious living" OK, I give up, anyone want to define that for me?

I'm not so sure that one would have "100s of photos per shoot retouched".

If I have a high school senior in for a portrait session, we might shoot say a hundred or so images, but we immediately start narrowing it down to may be 10 or less, then only those get retouched.

I do not know anyone, portrait or commercial, that retouches every image from a shoot. Even the wedding folks who might do a 1K images or so on a wedding don't do that. It takes too long and is to expensive....

Trying to get it right so that you do not need to retouch is really the key, but most of us can always use a little help now and then

Mike
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2005, 10:28 PM

Glamour photographers can and do reach that kind of volume, often.

The high enders can take anywhere from 8,000 - 20,000 pictures per month, they'll knock that down to about 2000 - 3000 photos, and then knock that further down to 50-200 photographs per set for publishing on website galleries-- generally, all of which, are at the very least airbrushed.

If you need airbrushing for 50 photos per set for gallery publishing, and say, have several sets of the same subject-- even at 5 sets, that's 250 photos.
(and 50 photos per set is a very low number for a set, as is 5 sets)

250 photos for one subject, and these photographers may do several subjects in the run of a month and may very well need over 2000 photos retouched.

And even though high end glamour photographers make an exceptional living from photography-- they're not going to be paying out top dollar to retouch that volume, they're going to hit up someone who can and will do it for a couple of dollars per photograph.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs