Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Possibly straying from restoration

Old 10-26-2005, 03:05 PM
Possibly straying from restoration

I'm not sure if there is a good amount of money in this but I'm getting a bit done with restoration. I think it's just not working out to be beneficial for me. In the type of environment I have to work in, I find myself making next to nothing an hour and by the time I take out for advertising, it's barely anything. I'm just curious if there is any hope for a photo art business. I prefer being creative and not having to try to see what half a person was supposed to look like. I'm not saying giving it up completely but I would rather my business be based more on photo art and creative photo manipulations. If I were to do this, any suggestions on the best type of first exposure and advertising???
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-27-2005, 08:27 AM
I too have been looking into the photo/art and I've found that no amount of advertising seems to work. It all seems to be word of mouth. I try to get jobs with photographers and have them offer my services as one of their own (of course they tack on their charges, but I'm ok with that). I'm offering all my photographers the option of watercolor and oil paintings. My problem is that I REALLY need to get samples up. I do alright for a Painter newbie - takes me back to art school...LOL! So my humble advice would be to get in a relationship with a handful of photographers and outsource through them. Make up a sample book for them to have on hand or a website of your own (I prefer the actual book at the studio). After that it is all word of mouth.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-28-2005, 08:02 AM
That's a great idea. Thanks. I think a lot of my problem stems from self doubt but you know... I guess the key to a good business is not only customer service but loving what you do and I love working with art. I seriously need to invest in a tablet though. I tried doing a strictly by hand photo last night with the mouse and by the time I was through I wanted to throw my mouse across the room lol. I keep hinting to my husband but I don't think he realizes I'm serious about a possible Xmas present. On occassion I will use Google Adwords and I've gotten some business through there but most of my business is repeat customers and the people they told about me. Which is great because they do say Word of Mouth is the best advertising there is. I can afford it a whole lot more too. Where I live is Art Central so maybe I can get some leads out of my downtown. I'm not real good with my pitch yet though because I think my doubt shows. I'll eventually work out those issues I'm sure. Like I said in a different post... I think why I stress so much about it is because the reason I started this business was to get my husband home more and to be able to move and it can't get here quick enough for me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-28-2005, 01:38 PM
one of the interesting tools I occasionally use along side my mouse that I'm willing to bet not very many use-- a LogiTech Rumblepad and an Attack Joystick. The software that comes with them allow them to be configured for any application, and the cursor speed can be fine tuned or limited seperately on each control stick and seperately from other devices. So, when I need pixel perfect control/movement, these devices serve me exceptionally well. And with about 11 - 12 buttons each they can also be programmed to quickly trigger actions, events, a series of macros, etc.

Though, I don't need their cursor control functions often, most of the time, they're make excellent one touch HotKey devices.

I can be somewhat of a device freak-- even my mouse has 14 functions.

I don't use a tablet, but it is on my list though. I think it would make a fine addiction, er, addition.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs