RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Finding Models/Portraits for site examples

Old 11-11-2005, 06:03 PM

Finding Models/Portraits for site examples

I apologize if I'm just not thinking today. I looked in the forums and I'm not finding the info on this. I'm looking for untouched portraits that I would be able to use as examples of work on my commercial website. All I get are restorations at the moment and I can't build up that part of my site so if anyone can help I would really appreciate it. Like I said, it would need to be photos that I can use on my website and I'm looking for royalty free, etc. In other words, just starting out in the business I can't afford all that much yet. I've only been open for business since August. Anyways, just wondering from those who are more in that field than resoration the best way to build up that part of a portfolio.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2005, 02:26 AM

I started the same way as you...best way i got stuff to put on my site was, one, to ask to do test images for jobs i applied for, and two, using the work that i did complete...
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2005, 02:28 AM

I got my portfolio pictures by emailing local photographers, explaining the situation and asking if they had any pictures that they would let me use for my portfolio.
Tips for success:
#1 send a separate email to each photographer rather than a batch of CCs.
#2 compliment their work - if at all possible, on a personalised level so they feel you arent just schmoozing
#3 offer to send them high rez copies of the retouched pictures.

If you're lucky you might even get a job out of it
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2005, 02:10 AM

That's a great idea Nancy. I guess I might start locally and work from there. I really shouldn't have this big of a problem finding someone to help since I live in a huge Art Based Town LOL. I guess I'm just ready for people to expect large payouts or to be uncooperative due to some of the cutthroat careers from my past.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2005, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkissed
That's a great idea Nancy. I guess I might start locally and work from there. I really shouldn't have this big of a problem finding someone to help since I live in a huge Art Based Town LOL. I guess I'm just ready for people to expect large payouts or to be uncooperative due to some of the cutthroat careers from my past.
A small tip, there are lots of egos out there, especially in the art oriented communities, tread carefully and with a low profile, as egos are as fragile as egg shells, and every man and his dog likes to regard himself as being skilled and many include themselves as photoshoppers. Be benevolent, not competition. Look needy as everyone likes to help a good cause
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2005, 01:54 PM

Mmm...this is my first post here, so forgive me if I don't do this correctly! :-)

There are also sites out there (like http://www.deviantart.com ), where some members post "stock" of themselves that ranges from extremely poor quality, to quite good--shots that may be full body, or face only--to be used by "photomanipulators". On dA, the stock is often specified as "only for use on dA"--but most of the people there are highly approachable, and would most likely be willing to have you use their images offsite, if you asked them nicely, and gave them credit. http://lockstock.deviantart.com is a perfect example of a lovely person, with lovely stock images of herself--taken with home lighting--so you can have quite dramatic "before and after" shots. (While you're there looking--take some time to browse through the various categories of art--there's some breathtaking work available over there--but the photomanipulation work might be of special interest to retouchers! :-)) (Do bear in mind that people are more likely to respond to you if you're a member--and posting some work over there...dA, in particular, is VERY community-oriented!)

http://www.Pbase.com , is another place you might look. There are many people on that site posting portraits that are "straight out of the camera"--or darn close to it. Some of them are using low-end dSLRs, too--and many would be more than willing to let you "play" with some of their images, provided you asked nicely, and provided credit--or if you offered a trade of some sort--like some tips on how they could do what you do! ;-)

There are probably more sites like that out there--I'm just familiar with those two in particular.

Alternatively--take your own images, and work them up! :-) With Photoshop--any photo can look like it was taken in a studio (I even "paint" my own digital backdrops, in Painter!), or even the most washed out, overexposed image can become a glamour shot:

http://www.pbase.com/briarrose/image/38226161
http://www.pbase.com/briarrose/image/38211182
http://www.pbase.com/briarrose/image/42696400
http://www.pbase.com/briarrose/image/42696403

(And I agree that the other suggestions you've been given are excellent--but since they've already been made, these were the only ones left for me to use! ;-))

Best of luck to you!!! :-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2006, 06:35 PM

If you're still looking,

I'm a fashion/glamour photographer that has a steady stream of images I need to have something done with. My photoshop has gotten better, but not where I want it to be. If you're still looking, I'd love to have some of my images be your test goat. I have RAW and Large JPG images.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs