Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

How to handle this situation?

Old 12-07-2005, 04:57 AM
How to handle this situation?

I had a photographer that I worked for a year ago contact me and ask me if I could help them out. They had a deadline for some retouches that their current retoucher could not make. I took the job and retouched as per the photographer's specific instructions.

It was an incomplete order, some photos of the same person had been done by the other retoucher and others left unfinished. I had to make them look just like the other retoucher's work to match the rest of the order. The photographer even comped out copied parts from one photo to go on an other (of the same person) to help match them in a short amount of time.

I now receive an email from the previous retoucher questioning my work and wanting to speak with me. They asked me to keep the email secret. They even went as far to try calling me (I have caller ID)

I found this all very unprofessional. I have had photographers use other retouchers than myself and I have NEVER went out seeking them. I figured it was just a personal preference of either working style or habits.

I did not respond to this person, but instead forwarded the email to the photographer. I believe it is their responibility to explain their actions to the other retoucher.

Did I handle the situation correctly? I don't play cloak and dagger games. If someone hires me I do the job, but what then if that person wants to keep using me? That is the problem I think.

Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2005, 06:49 AM
grafx, don't take it personally by any means, you were contracted by another, not the other retoucher, so you have no obligation to the retoucher. Can't help feel however, that this must put a damper on you psychologically. Hate lies, deception and covert moves personally.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2005, 07:02 AM
I think you handled it just fine. If I were the photographer, I would like to know about it. Plus, they need to take their issues up with the photographer not you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2005, 07:09 AM
You handled the situation perfectly. Very unprofessional and immature behaviour by the other retoucher and certainly something the photographer would want to know about. There are some crazy people out there. The trick is not to be one of them.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2005, 08:11 AM
Was this type of situation stipulated in your contract with the photographer? If not, you might want to put language to the effect of how you handled it into your contract.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-07-2005, 11:24 AM
Did you ever find out what that retoucher wanted? Maybe they just wanted some advice on how you did a prticular thing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2006, 12:24 PM
The retoucher is a friend of mine... The photographer left her high and dry with a balance of nearly $800. When she wouldn't continue to work for her without payment, the photographer went to Sarah. Probably giving her some story about how her retoucher couldn't get the work done, which was a lie. The email was not unprofessional in my opinion. She had found out that Sarah was asked to use parts of her completed retouches on new photos and wanted to know why. And let me add that the photographer still has not paid her!

Last edited by faustina; 01-10-2006 at 12:25 PM. Reason: adding
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2006, 01:08 PM
Two common phrases:

It is a small world ... and
There are always two sides to a story.

Sarah - I think you acted correctly, since you were not aware of the other angle.

Faustina - Good thing you could add some information regarding the apparently mysterious attempt to contact Sarah.

Hope you can sort this situation with the other retoucher Sarah.

Regards - Martha
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2006, 01:24 PM
You are right, there are always two sides. It's just hard to read that someone you care about is unprofessional and immature knowing it's not true. She worked with this photographer for over a year producing outstanding work and gave her ample time and opportunity to pay the balance. The email to Sarah was only after multiple attempts to set things straight with the photographer and only receiving silence.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-10-2006, 01:50 PM
And you are quite right to defend your friend--and remind us all that things aren't always what they seem.

I would have to agree that given the information that Sarah had, that she acted correctly--and that the advice she was given was reasonable, as well as professional.

If something is likely to come down to a he said/she said sort of situation, it is reasonable to assume that you'll show loyalty to the party you know, and have some frame of reference for, as well as reasonable to assume that you'll show loyalty to your employer, until you have evidence of your own to show that they're untrustworthy. Even the best of people can have problems and behave very poorly indeed, in the right circumstances--just ask anyone who's ever been caught between two friends in the middle of an acrimonious divorce! :-/

Perhaps the lesson we all can take from this is that we can offer good (or bad! ) advice...but lay off the "editorial comments", unless we have all the facts!

BTW--enjoyed your website, very much! (I especially liked the little moppet with the puppy, in your "Love" section! ))
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs