RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Retouching Scam

Old 01-06-2006, 05:33 PM
Janitor

Retouching Scam

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/...0703910100.htm

I'm posting this in Work/Jobs because I feel it's good business practice to never, never, never, never send a company money before they'll hire you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2006, 09:11 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
That was a slick plan that worked on quite a few. It wouldn't surprise me if it was thought of by the same people who want you to go to paypal.com or somewhere else to edit private information by clicking on a link they provide. The links take you to a webpage that sure looks legitimate.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2006, 03:28 AM

To Create a small programme that helps you check the validity of a Web Address, try the following. (Sorry this is for Firefox, can't remember how to do it for IE).

Click on Bookmarks to open your Bookmarks side bar. Now right click on Bookmarks Toolbar Folder, and select New Bookmark to open the dialogue box.

Type Valid Address into the Name: field.

Now into the Location: field, type the following

javascript:alert(%22The real URL is:%22 + location.protocol + %22//%22 + location.hostname + %22/%22 + %22\nThe address URL is: %22 + location.href + %22\n%22 + %22If the server names do not match, this may be a spoof.%22)

Check Load this Bookmark in the Sidebar, then select OK.

Now you will have a bookmark entitled Valid Adress, in your Bookmarks Toolbar Folder.

Now, if you use a link to go to a site, you can check if the adress is the same as the displayed adress by clicking on the Valid Adress bookmark.
If the 2 displayed adresses do not match, treat the site with extreme caution.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2006, 08:30 AM

Gary, that's very interesting.
I tried but it didn't work, got this error message...

Quote:
Erro: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIDOMLocation.hostname]" nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: javascript:alert(%22The real URL is:%22 + location.protocol + %22//%22 + location.hostname + %22/%22 + %22\nThe address URL is: %22 + location.href + %22\n%22 + %22If the server names do not match, this may be a spoof.%22) :: <TOP_LEVEL> :: line 1" data: no]
My Firefox / Java speaks portuguese, would that be a problem?

Any ideas?

Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2006, 11:11 AM

Don't really know, sorry. This was something I picked up somewhere (can't remember where).

I'm a complete novice with javascript, I just know it works on my box, and is useful for checking sites.

just posting the script again in case the site software altered it somehow. (I've put it in a code box this time to stop that happening). Did you copy and paste it from my earlier post, could be there are some hidden symbols not shown.

Code:
javascript:alert(%22The real URL is:%22 + location.protocol + %22//%22 + location.hostname + %22/%22 + %22\nThe address URL is: %22 + location.href + %22\n%22 + %22If the server names do not match, this may be a spoof.%22)
Just tried making a new one to make sure it works, and it worked fine. (Note: I could not copy/paste from the box in this post, so you'll need to copy it by hand).

Last edited by Gary Richardson; 01-07-2006 at 11:24 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2006, 11:54 AM

OK, Gary, got it working now.
The script is fine, the problem was the "Load in Sidebar" option.
I unchecked that and now the message appears correctly.

Thanks!

(PS Never did know what CODE tags were for)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2006, 03:38 PM

Glad you found out what the problem was.

It's not a programme you'll use a lot, but it's useful when you want it, and it can save you from entering info onto a page that's not what it claims to be.

The script does work in IE, I just can't remember how I entered it onto the toolbar. It's a while since I used IE.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs