Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

But is it "Art"?

Old 05-06-2002, 11:05 PM
That particular cameras chip has an exaggerated blue response due to a design feature, and improper white balance, which those cameras are very sensitive to, will produce a truly awful photo.

Noise and color fringing are being lessened by the improvement in chip manufacture and the internal hardware/software of these units. Mostly though, the problems are in the printing area...
But see - things like that were the whole point of my original post to begin with. That's why it ended with:

At least not yet, anyway...
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2002, 04:16 PM
prints vs. photos

I'm not going to get into all the arguments here I'm just going to state my opinion. I prefer digital photographic prints over digital prints (inkjet). Why? For one thing most inkjet inks fade and are water soluble. Of course color photographs have their fade issues as well......But the main reason is I just think they look better and are more substantial for the client.

No need to respond or argue about my is just that an opinion.

Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2002, 04:44 PM
A single quote comes to mind when reading over this thread:

ART, n.
This word has no definition.

Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

As far as rarity goes, though, look at Warhol-- he was famous (or infamous?) for making massive copies of his some of his screenprints, some of which he admitted he only "helped" with by letting assistants work with him. Now, you may not like his style of art much, but you can't deny that he made a good living creating it.

Would I pay huge amounts for a print from Ansel Adams? Probably not, but not because I deny it as art-- I just don't care to hang that kind of work on my walls.

And digital vs. film, well... that's another thread in itself. (:
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2002, 06:10 PM

This is like asking one to see into the future as to when, if ever digital art will be accepted in the traditional art world. Photography didn't make it for a hundred yrs or so. So how can we, with our limited experience and knowlege surmise on this weighty subject. I have a hard time with the term art in the first place. Is what I make art, am I an artist? I don't know and can't decide. I went looking for Gleecee while you guys were chatting. I found this one. The original is $20,000, and the 48" X 36" print is $500. Is this art? Can I paint a better superman? Who knows. Is this off topic. I can't judge that either. Help me find it, where is and what is the art.
Da Vinci was a fool for experimenting with mediums while doing the worlds greatest masterpieces, he didn't know either.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg black pitbull w- red collar.jpg (23.3 KB, 25 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs