Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Walmart Sucks

Old 02-23-2006, 08:25 AM
Originally Posted by NancyJ
Could you not just take your camera with you and show them that the pics came from your camera?
Personally I always use online photo printing, takes a couple of days but theres no hassle and they never ask about copyright - you jus aggree to their T&C which says that you agree that you have permission to print them.
I've actually went through Walmart's one hour and their ship to you, and the quality suffered. I did it three times and saw it wasn't a fluke. Was told to return them at the store for a refund, but when I brought them in went through the copyright issue so decided to chuck up to a lost cause and mailed them back to them for a refund. Lost money, since I have to pay to have them shipped to me and pay to ship back.

The other issue is I only have one SD card in my camera so I move the pics to CD to keep them safe. The one time I tried to bring the CD I had to ask for a manager because the person at the counter said and I quote...

"Well I can see they're not professional pics, but this doesn't prove these pics are yours"

I'm currently working with another Walmart and hoping to build myself up with them so I don't have to keep going through this in the future. Again like I said until I have money to buy my own printer and supplies.

Also I offered this place my business card, website, and copy of DBA certificate which I was told wasn't neccessary because they would put my name in a book they have for photographers so I won't have to keep going through this hassle. It turns out to be a lie just to get me out of their face. Went to two other Walmarts after the last blow up, and they both said "Book?? What Book??"
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2006, 08:32 AM
Originally Posted by magnavox

In most cases, you can contact the Photo Center Manager and/or Photo District Manager and let him/her know that you are starting up your own photography business and would like to use their service to produce prints. -magnavox

Thanks for the advise, I tried alot of those. But I will try the Photo District Manager next, it isn't a step I have tried yet and I am a more than willing to try what I need and get this straightened out and settled. I have also taken my DBA to Sam's Club and opened a business account with them in the hopes that since it is a business account for photography I will get alot less hassles. I'm sure I will be asked once or twice to prove my work, which is understandable and I don't have a problem with that, it is just the prove over and over or prove each and every time you come thing that erks me

Last edited by dsanchez; 02-23-2006 at 09:19 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2006, 09:15 AM
It's happened to me with Wal-Mart—which unfortunately has the best mini-lab in the area. Simple logic, business license, business cards etc. would not remedy the situation. With a smile I suggested I would—and have—boycotted Wal-Mart categorically. Oddly, Sam's just a few miles away will process anything, but I have boycotted the whole of Wal-Mart in total. A professional friend who shoots glamor portfolios in a small town nearby, has had no problems what-so-ever with the local Wal-Mart, indicating the arbritary nature of it's policy.

I use a local camera store lab—more expensive and a lessor print quality—but at least they want to know who the **** I am and understand the business.

Irregrdless of Wal-Mart's boiler plate excuses, I suggest there is a simple solution of registering photographers, and encourage others to join me by boycotting all of Wal-Mart. There, I feel better ...skip
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2006, 09:37 AM
Some background.

Several years ago the Professional Photographers of America (PPA) sued Walmart for copyright infringement. I think they won something like 2 million or so. I read some where that after that Walmart told their employes that if they ever got caught copying a copyrighted image they would be fired on the spot. Don't know if that was really true but that was the story going around.

But let me also add that at that time they were copying any thing that came in the door, copyright symbols or not, they did it. And thats wrong and they paid for it. But that then leaves them in a tough spot, for you do not have to label any print that it is copyrighted. Some studios do mark every print, but some do not.

But if you back up to the photo studio, you find that many of our customers do not want their prints all marked up with names and copyright signs. With the type of paper they make now, stamping the back is really hard, most inks will not stick to the back, if you place a sticker on the back, they get peeled off etc etc.

So if you are trying to make a living selling prints, you have a problem if someone is copying them. If you are running a store like Walmart and all the rest, that copy and print photos, you have a problem sorting out what you can and cannot copy. If you are the customer, then you have a problem.

A little understanding will most likely work better than just getting mad. If you have a business license and business cards, maybe that will help. Maybe the store you use can make up some kind of list that has your name on it so they can check the list and print your stuff. I don't know and of course I cannot speak for anyone else, but I would really try to work with them if you want to keep using their services.

Save your mad for when you sell someone a print, and they take it to someone and it gets copied.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2006, 04:03 PM
I wouldn't use them anymore. In fact I don't really go there for anything anymore do to the high amount of problems and poor customer service. Hopefully they will lose a lot more than their 2 million dollar law suit because tons of people will stop shopping there. I don't have any compassion or understanding for Wal-Mart and never will. I have had such problems with them it would make your head spin. Wal-Mart is the devil!!!!!

Ok breathing....
I'll behave now.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-12-2006, 06:32 PM

Costco is good and they're even cheaper than Wal-Mart. I've never had a problem and I've had professional photos printed there (taken by a friend of mine). You click on an agreement when you first sign into their kiosk or online, that says you have permission, etc..
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2006, 03:52 PM
Been there too..

I had the same experience with Walmart. The first time I was flattered, but after that it started getting pretty damn annoying, especially having to deal with this old idiotic manager that replaced the excellent person they had in there before. I finally thought I had found the perfect setup with a wonderful photo technician at Walmart who loved what she was doing and it showed (like she actually tweaked the machines to do what I wanted). Well the Walmart people couldn't stand watching someone enjoying their job and making customers happy, they had to move her to a more brainless job lest she might make a good impression on a customer. So now we have this old guy that couldn't tell photoshop work from machine shop work and he's about as flexible as a brick. I just try to get stuff printed there when he's not around.
I agree, Costco can be very good, in fact I think they're better than Walmart and less hassle, but unfortunatelly they're 35 miles away from us so we don't get to go there too often.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-12-2006, 10:02 PM
I can relate the hassle as well, though after being a recent employee they know I do photoshop work and photography and I no longer have any hassels with them, though my mom can not reproduce pics from the 20'-30's because they are "profesional"....even though the photographer is deceased.

*Things to know about walmart photo labs*

(speaking from my store not every walmart)

1. While the photo employees are nice, none of them have any photography experiance further than using the point and shoot on vacation, and dont even have a clue about colorspace, what a histogram is etc.. the extent of their training is on a kiosk computer program, while this serves the purpose you cant expect profesional results from a store that you can pickup a bag of dorito's while you buy your shotgun, only after you have your oil changed in the store.

2. They dont care about there employee's and will fire them in a heartbeat just to get them out of there hair, like swatting a fly. example: The one kid in the photo center was changing the chemicals and had the tank explode in his face buring his eyes due to the dept. manager not securing some tank properly, not only where they hassling him while his eyes where burning they tried to get him to sign some papers before he went to the eye rinse station, after saying a few choice words he had a fellow associate lead him to the eyewasher, then to the hospital. He was out of work for a month or so and walmart would not compinsate him for his ER visit or the time off, he had to hire a lawyer to get his compensation, a similar act happened to two differant people, both falling accidents, one was by herself and didnt get workers comp, while the other fell in front of a manager and she recieved workers comp promptly, both on the clock. anyway my point is they dont even care about there employee's let alone there customers, with managment like this quality in all aspects suffer.

3. I tried transfering from electronics to the photolab and was denied several times for various BS excuses, despite selling hundreds of dollars in camera sales and accesorys which is out of my dept; helping in the lab when its understaffed, can hand develop photos, and have photgraphy experience, I was not hired even though the dept manager (suposably) talked to the store manager about the transfer, even 4 out of 5 employee's and the 2nd dept manager begged for me to come over there.

guess who they hired instead? she said she had to first hire outside the company, so after several applicants they hired an elderly lady who had 0 experiance at all, and slowed down the lab for months untill she was sufficently trained to operate the equipment....thats walmart for you, hire someone else to do it for 6.60 an hour rather than hire me on at aprox. 7.50-8.00 an hr. I got fed up and quit rather soon, and am currently sweating my buns off in a dusty bodyshop to put myself through school to major in grafx design, which is ok by me because the poor work ethic enviroment, poor managment, and stuckup managers was getting old and while I cant say I love my work just yet at least my 2nd hobby is custom painitng/airbrushing so its tollerable...

but now im just rambling...sorry had to let off some steam
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-17-2006, 12:05 PM
Hi, Im a photographer that started with film..and went to digital 5 years ago...

One photog to another......STOP using walmart!

I dont want to offend anyone that uses walmart or anyone that works there...but walmart is pretty low on the quality side of things. I suggest finding another lab..a professional lab...not only to get past the copyright protection issues your having...but more importantly for quality issues.
Professional labs like Millers or their Mpix branch are pretty fairly priced...and their quality and customer service is top notch..

You wont ever have a problem with copyright issues due to your images looking profesional..because they are used to seeing professional images...while walmart is used to seeing grandma Sally's family snapshots.

Try printing a high key or a low key image at probably wont like the look of your images after they try to adjust the overall image to %18 grey.

It will cost you only pennies more per print but the quality is worth much more than that.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-26-2009, 06:39 PM
Re: Walmart Sucks

I always use york photo which is an online printing company. The quality is really good & the prices are so cheap they are unreal. Also you get 20 free when you are referred by a member & if you refer someone else & they set up an account, they get 20 free.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs