Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

caring for your Eyes

Old 03-02-2006, 08:20 AM
Smile caring for your Eyes

how do you deal with bad eyes or astigmatism-glasses ( or even the side effect of working for 12 or 14 hours every day in peak times ?

my eyes are not the best, i have glasses (myopia) (max. thinned out, one side of the glass is at around 250 EUR (my range is from -6,5 to -9 diopters, every point in my eye is different myopic), also cant wear lenses too much as of dry eyes, additionally i am working since 12 years now, and i found out that my job is contra-productive for my eyes, not less to say, i get sometimes dry eyes after working 12 h a day, it burns, and worst thing is, i see about 30% less the longer i stay at my screen, as my eyes accommodate to the screen distance. thats the worst thing, i sometimes rather stay at home after work than going out, as i see 50% less sharp in the night, regarding the distance view only. thats very handicapping, also psychological.

either thinking about changing the job in the future or working only 6 h a day, but then i cant take the deadlines...additionally i found out that photography is the most loved thing in my live, as i sort of changed my profession very late, only 1 year ago. (but worked as graphicdesigner since 7 years)

the longer i work i feel like seeing less sharp and have to work at 200 or 300% to see the small points on the screen. this makes me work very slow as one should work at 100% in Photoshop as everything else is not seen by the peoples eyes.

the reason for posting this is,
i wonder if i am the only one with this problem? are there retouchers or photographers with bad eyes or experiencing the same?
are there any solutions like camilla tea (ironic ) or anything else i am not aware of?

i visited a very good pilote doctor in my local town, "Dr. Rainer Wiltfang SMILEYES, munich airport) which lasers all kind of pilotes eyes, he said he could heal my eyes to 90% down to 0 diopters, but that doesnt matter when i work again 12h, so the eyes will decrease again. also i am a bit afraid of someone cutting in my eye, maybe i couldn hold without shaking my body, like freezing)

sorry for that & good luck für your eyes...

Last edited by pure; 03-02-2006 at 08:48 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-02-2006, 08:45 AM
You should take a screen break of 5 minutes every hour - in the UK this is required by law at work (health and safety regs).
You should also get yourself some eyewash - staring at a screen all day - even an LCD will dry out your eyes, washing them out regularly will clear away the dust that makes your eyes itchy and burning. And whatever you do DONT RUB THEM!
About working at 200-300%, I work even more zoomed in than that at times, its a necessity if you want precision - expecially if you use a mouse. I zoom in and out to check the overall look, but I do inspect in detail the work that I've done. Especially work for print - 100% on screen doesnt necessarily mean that you're viewing it at the full size that it will be when its printed.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs