RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Sick and tired...

Old 03-14-2006, 03:09 PM

I'm having problems with a customer at the moment, she paid 50% up front but can't be contacted for the final payment and delivery of her restorations. It's so frustrating. I was considerig a "wall of shame" page on my website but I won't do it.
Do you tink with only partial payment you have the right to use the finnished work as advertising? Or is it still the property of the customer regardless of the fact that it's not paid for fully?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2006, 06:15 PM

I do not know about your laws, but here after a certain time period the property is considered abandoned. Depending on just what it is that we are talking about, some of it has to be turned in to the state authorities,(usually that is things like money, bonds, jewels etc).

In my state there is nothing that really covers photographs. Part of that is because they really do not have much value except to the family involved. So its kind of a gray area, but the longer I have it, then the less claim they have to say anything about it.

This whole thing would not be a problem if they would just come in and pay the bill and take the work out of here
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-14-2006, 08:12 PM

I don't start until they pay but it takes FOREVER for them to pay a lot of times. I have a folder I store the photos in on the computer for backup and I find I'm constantly having to email people to "remind" them they inquired about a service. Then I get a lot of oh I've been so busy... which is fine but a little email would be nice. I have one guy I understand though... he lost the password to his email while out of state. Anyways, then I usually get bombarded all at once. Well, I'll be slacking off on business anyways... I'm going back to a regular job. *cue psycho theme*
LOL
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2006, 07:47 AM

charge twice as much as you do now and make them pay half down before you start!!!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2006, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanda
I'm having problems with a customer at the moment, she paid 50% up front but can't be contacted for the final payment and delivery of her restorations. It's so frustrating. I was considerig a "wall of shame" page on my website but I won't do it.
Do you tink with only partial payment you have the right to use the finnished work as advertising? Or is it still the property of the customer regardless of the fact that it's not paid for fully?
Depends on the wording in your contract. If I can get someone to sign mine, my contract it states that they do not have ownership or rights to the retouched photo until paid in full. I need to get more strict with the contracts, but most are verbal or via email.

Anyone ever use electronic signatures for contracts. You know that whole "by clicking here" you sign...blah, blah, blah....
It then sends the form to you via email and you can print it or store it.

Hmmm....IDEA! I'm revamping my website anyways so I'm going to work out the html coding for it. Does anyone else know about the legality of such documents. Will they hold up in court?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2006, 11:28 AM

Are we all forgetting that these people are just like us? If they are 'johnny on the spot' most of the time, cut them some slack. I'm sure everyone on here has been late on a credit card payment at least once...this is no different. I usually get a deposit up front, but I ALWAYS take into consideration the customer, what they need, any problems they may have, etc. It's called customer service. If you live in a small town, like I do, you have to remember that a lot of times your customers are your neighbors. Do unto others, remember?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2006, 07:23 PM

Oh my god, listening to you I'm so happy to have business clients

I don't know how it's handled in the US but in Germany not paying means some small paperwork to court and two weeks later "Hello Mister Marshal!". Guess it pisses off some clients for future work, but hey, who the hell needs clients not paying?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-22-2006, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferdberfel
Are we all forgetting that these people are just like us? If they are 'johnny on the spot' most of the time, cut them some slack. I'm sure everyone on here has been late on a credit card payment at least once...this is no different. I usually get a deposit up front, but I ALWAYS take into consideration the customer, what they need, any problems they may have, etc. It's called customer service. If you live in a small town, like I do, you have to remember that a lot of times your customers are your neighbors. Do unto others, remember?
Of course, but don't you think after 10 or 15 years or so they might get back to you? (and I live in a small town also)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2006, 03:59 PM

Try this

I have in the past let the client well aware in the contract that their images will be discarded after a certain amount of time (like 90 days), due to lack of space. I would then give them a call to remind them that I would have to clear out any old orders to make room for new ones. They will come and pick it up if it means anything to them at all.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs