Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Web site email

Old 12-29-2001, 06:44 PM
Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
My personal opinion is that I agree with Sandra.
"I" seems too self centered if nothing else. "I do great work" just doesn't sound as good as "We do great work". Additionally, suggestive advertising is widely used by many businesses, and IMHO it does not suggest (for lack of a better term) dishonesty. I'd be interested in how others feel about it. And yes, we should build a good reputation as an industry. That should be done by giving the customer professional quality work, and by not taking advantage of certain circumstances such as when someone is grieving or is otherwise vulnerable.

Last edited by Ed_L; 12-29-2001 at 06:50 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-29-2001, 11:16 PM
I used the "we" to help inspire confidence, I wasn't out to be dishonest with my customers although I can see how you would think so. But isn't having different email addresses just as misleading if they are all going to be answered by the same person? Maybe I've said too much.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2001, 01:30 AM
I use several email addresses, but for a good reason: I have them all filtered to go to their proper email box. That helps keep me organized.

I can only speak for myself, but when I hear someone referring to themselves as "we", and find out later they work alone, I change my opinion about their business. Why aren't they confident enough to take credit alone? What are they hiding? Do they really think they're fooling anyone? And why do they feel the need to fool anyone?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-30-2001, 06:33 AM
I think this is a tough decision to make (deciding between I and We).
I personally like the idea of taking credit for my work, as I am the one doing it. However, most of my business is done in a partnership with a local camera shop. So although "I" do the labor, "we" provide the services.
Also, some people like to think ahead. You may only be a one man operation now, but plan to expand some day.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2001, 01:42 AM
Thank you all so much for such great information. I have a lot to think on....and will use the jill@pastandpresentphoto with the forward to home addy. Thanks for your help on this issue
For me, on my site I will stick with the "I" statement, for this reason....I live in a small/rural town and know almost all my prospective clients personally, I am a Beautician and this is where I will get most of my clients for Graphic Designs They are all following my new venture with interest and are very supportive and they all know it's just everyone has quite different reasons for this question of I or we. Interesting to hear everyones well thought out views.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs