Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

where does your business come from?

View Poll Results: what percentage of your business does your website generate?
100 7 12.07%
75 5 8.62%
50 1 1.72%
25 13 22.41%
0 14 24.14%
don't have website 18 31.03%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-16-2005, 06:48 AM
One of the other posters mentioned the age group. This is a huge point. I own two businesses. I have a computer sales/repair company and another company that works with video creation. (biographies, weddings, anniversaries, etc). I also do a lot of photo restoration through the latter company.

I live in a rural area in Maine. When I started my computer business a few years ago as a one man operation I strived to bring quality service to the commerical and especially the residential sector. This brought me to a age group that I had never had to deal with on a technical level before. . .the elderly.

I volunteered for a year to help a 75 year old woman to do email (yes, just email). I went once a week and I learned much more than she did. I learned how to make technology less scary for those that have not grown up with a mouse in their hand. This was the best thing I ever did for my company.

I deal a lot with funeral homes with my video company. Some funeral directors are in the same 'technologically challenged' category. As a company we deal very well with them because of those lessons I learned early on and have passed on to my employees.

Its important to remember our target market for photo restoration. On a whole we are probably dealing with people that are not your computer geeks. The elderly are going to be a huge market. The majority of the elderly do not surf the web. (This statement is true in rural Maine, it may not apply to NYC). Those people that are fairly computer savy will often try to do photo touchups themselves.

This said, the advantage of meeting with someone face to face (what we call 'in-your-face advertising') is that you have the ability to soothe somebodys nerves. Our customers hear "Don't worry, we'll take care of you" all the time.

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs