RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Hunting for work

Old 04-21-2006, 12:38 PM

Hunting for work

Since the setup of my new site, I seem to be getting quite a few people asking to take on my extra work load etc. Now IMHO this is not the way to do business, and in fact would put me off using any of them. Just wondering what other peoples opinion is on this?
I have noticed that most of the offers are coming from India/Asia areas. They are genuine retouchers/restorers, but is the market really that flooded that they have to fish for work?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-21-2006, 01:00 PM

I have only found someone recently that I have enough confidence in to help me out. I actually sought her out. I am really particular who I have help me and I generally only have them do the basic stuff to save me time and then I do all the final work. It allows me to monitor the quality that goes out.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-22-2006, 04:13 AM

Yes

I have had some requests like this. I sent over a sample image and told them to match my style of retouching. None of them came close so I gave them the chance but nobody proved themselves. There are times when you get a bulk order and you need help but it has to be of the same standard.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2006, 10:25 AM

Get to know other retouchers. Don't send your work to strangers.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2006, 03:41 PM

It just goes to show the level of saturation in the market. Though off the shelf software is great for giving a larger audience the ability to put their skills to work, it also creates the possiblity for just about anyone to present themselves as professionals though their skills may be dubious. It's good to have benchmarks and skills tests to make sure those you work with are on the same level. After all it's always your reputation that's riding all work you produce.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2006, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose443
It just goes to show the level of saturation in the market. Though off the shelf software is great for giving a larger audience the ability to put their skills to work, it also creates the possiblity for just about anyone to present themselves as professionals though their skills may be dubious. It's good to have benchmarks and skills tests to make sure those you work with are on the same level. After all it's always your reputation that's riding all work you produce.
I agree, I recently was asked to send samples for a high-end retouching position for a studio in LA that does fashion and stars. Of the 30 people that sent samples, they only asked five of us to interview and for testing... not just anyone with off the wall software has the skills for this level of retouching. However, on the other side of that coin, it has become such a global market that you never know on what side of the world your competition is located. I once had a request from a woman to retouch 300 pieces of jewelry. They were already knocked out and color corrected all I had to do was clean up the images... and boy were they a mess. 16 companies sent back test sample images for her to review for the job. Bottom line is she offered me 30cents each, lol. She said that a number of companies from India had offered to do them for that price. I told her she should be contacting them, not me. geeze
~Nancy~

Last edited by Nanls; 05-05-2006 at 04:40 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2006, 04:31 PM

Did you get the gig?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanls
I agree, I recently was asked to send samples for a high-end retouching position for a studio in LA that does fashion and stars. Of the 30 people that sent samples, they only asked five of us to interview and for testing... not just anyone with off the wall software has the skills for this level of retouching.
~Nancy~
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2006, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lopes
Did you get the gig?
Won't know until next week... my problem is that even though they pay well, are a great group, have a really nice working environment and equipment, they are in LA County (hollywood) and I am in Orange county. It took me 1 1/2 to get there and as the gas prices go up, I'm wondering how much it is going to cost me to take the job, if they do ask me. I got gas last night for $3.59 gal ouch!
~Nancy~

Last edited by Nanls; 05-05-2006 at 05:26 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2006, 05:40 PM

Quote:
I got gas last night for $3.59 gal ouch!
$3.59 = £1.93 thats dirt cheap

here gas goes for about £4 = $7.44 now that is ouch!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2006, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Richardson
$3.59 = £1.93 thats dirt cheap

here gas goes for about £4 = $7.44 now that is ouch!
That's a big ouch! My sister lives in Barcelona, and every time I go, I cringe at the gas prices, however, they have an excellent public transportation system. Here in California; we don't.
~Nancy~
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs