RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

How Much?

View Poll Results: How much do you charge for restorations?
$10-20/hr 10 8.55%
$20-30/hr 26 22.22%
more 34 29.06%
I charge by the job (how much, and how do you estimate?) 47 40.17%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-06-2002, 06:06 PM

If you are running a business (and I do) and you rely on that business to buy the four necessities of life with (and they are bread, peanut butter, jelly and toilet paper) and I do, then one has to be very carefull about how you do this.
We give the customer a price for the job. But that price is based on a per hour basis that the customer never sees. We (hopefully) know about how long it takes us to perform any of the tasks that are going to be used to complete the job. By just adding them all up the customer gets a rate for that job. Any consumable supplies are of course added to the price.
This way we do not have to really time ourselves for every job we do. (I do not like watching a clock while I work either) However if we get better, or buy faster equipment, or whatever and are able to do a task in a shorter period of time, then we adjust our time requirements.
I might add that I have been getting some e-mails from independent retouch people and cannot believe how cheap some people work! I know just about enough about this to know whats involved and am really turned off by the cheap prices. Remember the old saw about getting what you pay for, and you can't be getting much at some of those prices. If I think that way as a prospective customer, what do your customers think???
Mike
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2002, 09:55 PM
Janitor

Too bad there's no way to give this same kind of poll to people that have no knowledge of restoration to see how much they think it's worth. That would be truly valuable information.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2002, 01:08 PM

But Doug, thats part of the fun of the job!

Customer one exclaims, "$25.00 just for a stinking picture!!!!".

Customer two calmly says "$175.00, is that all, I was ready to spend much more than that".

Mike
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2002, 01:20 PM

Mike
Sounds like you got the same customers as I do.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2002, 05:39 PM

DJ
Since we are about as far apart as we can get, and we both have the same type customers, does that mean the people in the middle have the best type of rich, easy going, will buy anything and be amazed that it costs so little customers?
Mike
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2002, 08:47 PM

Or maybe they just migrate here with the rest of the Snow Birds in the winter.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-07-2002, 09:13 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Mike,

Your customers live here too. When I was in business, I hated to hear either of those responses. The first one got to me because I knew my prices were fair. The second one got to me because it made me wonder if my prices were too low! The first customer is hard to make happy, while the second type is usually relatively easy. Oh, the joys of being a business owner!

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2002, 12:11 AM

We charge by the job, based on time. We charge $30 for a scan (multiple originals at one time and the price goes down per original scanned), optimization is included in the scan price.

Retouching is per large area of detail (sky, clothing, etc), face, body part, and etc. that needs art work. Each item mentioned has a sliding scale from $25 to $100, depending on the damage. This also gives the customer the oportunity to have us do more or less work on different areas. Quoting this way our restorations range from $100 to $600. Most restorations are done in 2 to 3 weeks. If a customer asks why it can't be done quicker, it is because of our workload and the artist value of simmer time to make sure that their restoration is the best job possible.

If a job feels like we are painting the Mona Lisa from scratch we will quote more and also quote a longer period of time (2 to 3 months). The extra time alows us the flexibilty of working with breaks (working 3 days straight on the same restoration drives us crazy), and the extra time reinforces the value (it's that much work that really is worth this much money). I think it is the really difficult jobs that most restoration professionals underprice, it is twice as much work but they have a hard time charging twice as much money.

I should also mention that we freely do test scans while the customer is getting a quote, and will even do a quick optimize, then zoom in on a face so that the customer can really see the work ahead of us, or when that is not available we will hand our customer a good lupe.

Roger
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2002, 01:10 AM

Thanks! This is great information on a thread that unfortunately died out a while back. Hopefully this post will rekindle some interest.

I have been flirting on and off for a year now about whether to hang out my shingle. It seems the more skilled I get at restorations, the less I think I know...
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2002, 11:09 AM

Don't be intimidated ... with photoshop there is almost always a quicker, better, faster way of doing everything that we do that we havn't figured out yet. The thing that gives us the confidence to hang our shingle is not expertise, but the persistance to do the best job possible with no excuses. We know what we want the finished work to look like - we don't give up until we are sure we have got it as good as it can be. We don't look from the original to finished and decide we are done if it is impressive, until it meets our goals. And yes, some restorations go quicker than we think they will, and some take a lot longer...

Roger
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs