RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

How Much?

View Poll Results: How much do you charge for restorations?
$10-20/hr 10 8.55%
$20-30/hr 26 22.22%
more 34 29.06%
I charge by the job (how much, and how do you estimate?) 47 40.17%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-04-2002, 01:12 PM

How Much?

I notice that most folks studiously avoid saying exactly how much they charge for a given restoration. I have no dreams of being able to supplant my current job, but it would be worthwhile to know what my skills are worth.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2002, 01:48 PM

I charge by the job. I usually look over the picture and determine what level of restoration it is. Either minor, moderate or severe and even how much manipulation is involved if that's the type of job they want anc charge according to a price range I determined in each group.
Charging by the hour was difficult for me because some of the time consuming tasks are not necessarily the fault of the restoration job but the restorer (me) or the equipment or just doing something the hard way when there is a quicker way to do it. So to figure out the actual time spent restoring I would constantly have to be clocking and that's not how I like to work. Just my own opinion.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2002, 04:16 PM

I'm with DJ on this. I think one needs to determine how much their time is worth. Then determine how long it should take to do the restoration (providing all goes well). Also evaluate your skills. If you are overpriced, and don't do a good job, word of mouth could kill your business.
I never keep track of my time. I have some kind of artistic temperment that sometimes allows me to breeze through the work, and at other times, want to get out of the business. I use a basic rate, no matter how long it takes.
Interestingly, I recently increased my prices on my website. My reasoning is, if I'm too underpriced, people are leery that there must be a catch. I think most people are willing to pay for quality work. Hopefully that's what I'm providing.

Probably another good poll would be, "how long does/should it take to do a restoration?".
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2002, 05:37 PM

thanks for the replies!

(Vikki, your examples are outstanding)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2002, 06:07 PM

DJ, just downloaded some of your examples, they are fabulous also! Thanks for the inspiration. As I said, I have a day job at the moment, but by the time I get through my wife's closet full of genealogical photos I'll have skills I will want to market. You guys are inspiring.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2002, 06:36 PM

Glad to be of help.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2002, 07:28 PM

I also charge by the job. I tend to spend way too much time on restorations to charge by the hour. I think I'm a little under priced with my bas prices and intend to review them in the near future. I agree with Dj it's hard to watch a clock when you're working on a restoration. I tend to spend more time than is necessary sometimes on some jobs but I'm happy to do it because with each job I learn a bit more and add to my expertise there fore if I charged by the hour I would be charging clients for time I spend experimenting or learning a new technique.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2002, 07:46 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Vikki said " if I'm too underpriced, people are leery that there must be a catch. I think most people are willing to pay for quality work."

I fully agree with that. If you thought you had a serious health problem, would you go to a doctor who charged $10.00 per visit? Why would someone leave their only treasured photo of Great Aunt Martha in the hands of one whose price for their work was low? If they really have something of importance to them, they just might pick someone where the price is on the high end of the scale. Either way, I think it's a tough business to make a living. I think you need to be professional in everything you do, and set your prices to reflect that. Just my opinion. If you just want to practice, you're on the right website.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2002, 04:35 AM

Thanks.
I think you have the right idea:
Quote:
but by the time I get through my wife's closet full of genealogical photos I'll have skills......
You should also have quite a large portfolio!

Another good thing, that everyone here does, is to keep trying to improve their skills and knowledge about the business. I think that's how you eventually become a master of your trade ( and can justify your price).
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2002, 07:42 AM

I tried different methods but found that charging $7.50 per 15 min. interval (excluding scanning charge) and rounding up the difference has proven satisfactory. I also give my customers a choice of how intense a restoration they want. 99% are thrilled to have the gross scratches taken out, tone/color adjusted and dont care about having every little blemish removed. On average most jobs take about 30 min. Tom
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs