RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

How would you handle it?

Old 01-05-2002, 07:46 PM

Location: northwest Indiana, about 45 minutes from Chicago, IL
Vikki,

I didn't have a problem because I don't have a business. My restoration skills wouldn't qualify me for one anyhow. It just seemed to be something that might merit discussion.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2002, 07:57 PM

From past experience I get the impression your 'customer' would have jibbed on your agreed quote anyway. As DJ has mentioned masters should not be returned separately but as the completed package.

Originals supplied should be receipted both ways to avoid comebacks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2002, 08:15 PM

I think keeping the originals until payment is made is a good idea. There are others who would rather give them back to the customer as soon as possible to avoid any possible mishaps with them.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2002, 10:39 PM

oh yes only the restorations. I would never intentionally dmage an original.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2002, 05:41 PM

A nice question, but of course the real answer is to avoid the situation in the first place. We do that by filling out a form we have that gives the customer the final price before we start any work. And we always try to get at least 50% of the cost in advance, the rest is due when the work is completed.
But even with all that, we have had customers who have complained about the price after we did the work, and who have just walked away, leaving both the 50% down payment and their orginals and the restoations here with us!
Mike
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2002, 06:02 PM

How long areyou required by law to keep the originals before they are considered abandoned and you can dispose of them? Tom
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2002, 06:43 PM

Tom, that is a really good question, and I do not have an answer for it. In the course of 20 years of doing business here, I have about 40 to 50 (and thats a really rough estimate, I am not going to the store room to count!) orginals that have been left here for what ever reason. We make 3 calls to try to get them to pick up their work, then we just file them away. A number of the customers moved while we were doing the work and they left no forewarding address or phone number. In one case a customer left the orginals here while she went home to talk to her husband about the pricing. Said she would call us back and let us know, we finally called her after a couple of months and she got angry and told us not to bug her so quickly. Its now been at least 10 years and we are still waiting for her call. Needless to say we will have to re-estimate the charges on that job!
I am sure that there is some kind of law about this, and I am even more sure that the law is different in every state. A call to your state attorney general would most likely get you on the right trail.
Mike
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2002, 07:35 PM

Mike,

That's a problem we haven't discussed at all (people not picking up their originals), and it certainly has potential to become problematic. I wonder if something could be put in a contract to specify how long you would be liable for the originals?

If you've been in the restoration business for 20 years, I'm wondering if you do all restorations digitally now or if you offer other services as well.

Ed
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2002, 08:04 PM

I guess I haven't done a big enough business of this yet to have the originals left to store. Can't even imagine the person who would take the effort to get them restored and then leave them and the restoration behind. Hope I never get any of those.
DJ
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2002, 09:00 PM

That would be a good thing to look into. I know that there are specific time limits here that a person has to pick up their property and if exceeded the service provider is free,after certain minor legal steps, to dispose of said property any way they see fit, to recoup whatever they can in compensation. Tom
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs