RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

I think I have just scared myself.........and scanner question

Old 07-24-2006, 11:13 AM

I think I have just scared myself.........and scanner question

I just quoted £10,000 for a restoration job - and I've scared the c"@p outta myself.

It's 300 fire damaged photos, which will keep me busy for 3 months or so. I am a quick worker, and some photos are just damaged edges (it's what happens when photo albums burn, the photos just get a little charred) but others are considerably worse, so I think the timeframe is right if tight.

Has anyone else ever taken on a job like this? Are there any real pitfalls? I know time management is going to be a consideration (no weekends or evening for me). I will be getting the prints done by an online service (D-lab7) to reduce the time spent jiggery pokerying around with my printers - plus they are actually cheaper than printing at home.

If the quote is accepted it's time to treat myself to a new scanner. NOT an expensive one - probably no more than £70 or £80 (all I can afford until the insurance company coughs up). Any ideas on this one too? At the moment I have a UMAX Astra 2200 which I really like, but it is getting too soft. I need a good sharp scanner (hopefully one that scans photos better than the surface damage to them - something the current scanner has started doing). Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-25-2006, 03:33 PM

Quote:
I need a good sharp scanner (hopefully one that scans photos better than the surface damage to them - something the current scanner has started doing). Any suggestions?
There are some tricks, but for the most part, if the photo is flawed or damaged, the scanner's going to pick it up. There are some helpers in most scan software (descreen etc.), but sometimes "sharp" is not the best way to repair. I'm amazed at some of the crud that Photoshop CS2's new Surface Blur can fix.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-25-2006, 04:21 PM

What you should be looking for in a scanner is one that will capture the shadows and highlights correctly. Good dynamic range. I've personally found that many cheaper scanners do not do this. They may capture a clear and sharp image, but in order to get a quality image to work with, it needs to do more than that. You can always sharpen and color correct, but it's almost impossible to replace the detail lost due to a bad scan.
I suggest you do a Google search for reviews of consumer priced scanners, and look specifically for users (not manufacturer's) experiences with the Dmax (dynamic range) of the particular scanners.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs