RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

Prices and copyright info...???

Old 01-27-2007, 11:32 AM

Prices and copyright info...???

I know everybody asks this! Ha! Well, I, too, am new to getting paid for my graphics work. Been editing photos and creating non-animated and animated graphics for a year now. I know, not very long. So, the administrator of a message board that I frequent asked me if I would be interested in creating animated banners for advertisers on her site. These wold be doctors, lawyers, agencies, etc... Not that that matters much, I suppose.

Anyway, I told her absolutely! I love making images and editing pics! So... How much is reasonable to charge? My friend gave me a great idea, IF the clients were wanting many images. He said, charge them a fee/deposit to begin the images, like $300. Then, at the completion of all, say, 6 images, get the remaining balance of like $300. He also said that a good idea is to have a set number of client-requested revisions, like 2. After those two revisions, he says charge hourly. He says that in the SF Bay area, freelance graphics designers charge, on average, 30-60 an hour. Soooo... I am baffled.

And, I don't imagine that the clients of this site will be wanting/needing more that one image from me. So... Should I just charge hourly?

It takes me anywhere from half an hour to 3 hours to create a really great animated image.

These images will be used to advertise, thus making money for the clients.

How much would you charge for this??? Anyone???

ALSO... I will have to purchase copyrighted images, which, as many of you know, can be costly. Do I calculate that cost into what I charge my clients? I have seen an average price of $150 per image, which makes me think that maybe I should charge over that per my image, but is that outrageous???

If anyone has any advice whatsoever on this subject, I would really, really appreciate it! I am probably going to begin working very soon. I need help!!! Thank you so much in advance!!

Love, Meg
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2007, 01:03 PM

Re: Prices and copyright info...???

So somewhere in the $20 - $40 per hour range. Don't be shy about charging for your work. The owner of the message board charges good money for their services.
I've been reading web site design forums for 10 years and almost every day someone is complaining about not getting the money owed them. They are going bak and forth endlessly about everything. First question always: "Did you have a contract with them?
They and you are running a business now and need to treat this work in a business-like fashion. You should draw something up (a contract) that will be agreed upon and signed before starting anything. Details like revisions, who owns the images, time frame, purchasing copyrighted work, quality.... etc.
This is to protect both sides and sends the message you are taking this seriously.
There are contract templates on the web.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2007, 01:22 PM

Hi Joey! Thanks so much for responding. So, what do you think about using copyrighted images? Most sites that sell rights to them are charging somewhere around $150 per image. Should I calculate that into what I charge? How do I do that? I think charging anything over like 50 bucks per banner is crazy. BUT, I will be out money if I use a copyrighted image in their banner. What do you think? I want to sound professional to the client, obviously. I would just like a set price range that doesn't have me giving free work and that doesn't scare off potential clients. Anyway, thank you again for your advice!! I really appreciate it!! Thanks, Meg
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2007, 02:08 PM

Well, if they ask for a copyrighted image to be used in their ad, then they should pay. If you are using it as a tool (a resource) to make the ad, then you should pay for it.
Again, this should all be spelled out in advance. I would ask them about that.
You can see how complex this can all be.
Things can just go badly when both sides aren't agreeing on everything first.
Even when doing something for a friend or that nice web site I go to.
I work at a job where contractors come all the time and provide bids or quotes for some work.
I've talked to them over the years, and they say giving a bid is an art. You want to make good money, but not price yourself out of the job.
You will get better at sizing up people and jobs after awhile.
Don't be afraid to charge for your time. These contractors all make great money, you should too.
$50 for a banner ad is not crazy; you had to learn all this stuff, buy equipment, etc.

(For the same roof, companies bid 4K, 5K, 9K, 11K and 18K.)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2007, 02:10 PM

There are many sites with cheaper images. Like Dreamstime.com $2 per image.And cheaper with a smaller size.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-29-2007, 04:07 PM

Thanks for all the great advice, you guys. I am leaning a lot n a short period of time thanks to all of you nice experiences folks. So, I am going to charge an hourly rate. I am going to come up with a general contract that I can adjust, if need be. I am going to also come up with a basic pricing list, subject to time, that I can post up on my fancy new domain! I am so excited!! When it's up and running, I'll have to show you guys and see whatcha think. Oh, and I found that Dreamstime site on my own the other night. Sounds like a great situation for me. I think I'll do the cheapie package for now and see how it works out. Anyway, thanks again!!! You are the best! Love, Meg
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs