Go Back   RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Work/Jobs Talk about the business side of things. Advice, questions, inspiration, and moral support

3D skill, motion graphics skill, design skill, and now CMYK?

Old 02-07-2007, 03:20 AM
3D skill, motion graphics skill, design skill, and now CMYK?

I'm in Los Angeles. I started in the traditional arts and slowly migrated to the digital field. I've pretty much learned a bit if not a big chunk of most of the arts you could create with a computer. I started with Photoshop, which is still my favorite program and I'd like to incorporate it as a primary tool in my workflow. I saw the potential in Flash and learned it back in the Flash 4 days. 3D was becoming popular so I learned Maya (mostly in the modeling area). I always try to stay on the cutting edge of technology. It's just so frustrating that with the diverse skill set that I have I still don't deserve an interview with the jobs that I've been applying.
Lately, I've been noticing more and more retouching job listings that require the candidates to know CMYK. Just how important is it to know CMYK in creative retouching? I do know that the printing industry is all about CMYK. I've had my works printed out in CMYK before, but they were all converted from either RGB or LAB and the colors were just fine. When employers mention CMYK in the ad do they actually require the retouchers to work in CMYK mode? I just don't see how that's being efficient to me if that's the case. As we all know, there are many ways to do things in Photoshop. I'm just a greenhorn in this color space. Maybe some CMYK experts in here could shed some light.
I've been thinking about devoting my time to learn this color space, but I also need the time to perfect what I already knew. Does it matter to employers that you understand the color space, but have never worked in prepress before? Where do you start learning CMYK? Your input will be greatly appreciated. I'm just frustrated of just what it takes to get into somewhat high end retouching.

Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Business > Work/Jobs